Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:54
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sep 27, 2008

Dear All,

I would like to share my concern with you;

during the month of September only one of my American (USA) clients contacted me and for very small jobs (mostly 1 page certificates).

I am really worried because 90% of my clients are (were?) American and I always was overloaded.

Is recession so serious to decrease the translation business?

Have you noticed the same thing or maybe it is because of my pair?

How about the other pairs?

How about colleagues working in my pairs?

Trust me I am really worried, and don't know what to think and what to do.

Thank you for your opinions, suggestions.

Have a nice week end!

Angio

[Edited at 2008-09-27 09:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:24
English to Swedish
The opposite Sep 27, 2008

Hi,

For me it is the opposite. During the last month I have received twice as much work from my American clients compared to normal.

Hopefully it is just a short dip that you are experiencing and they will be all queing up for your services again shortly.

Good luck!

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:24
German to English
+ ...
Did you invoice in euros or dollars? Sep 27, 2008

Hi Angio:

Did you invoice in euros or dollars? I too have found American clients, even potential, shying away once I quote a price in euros, or its equivalent in dollars.

It is possible that the rapidly eroding exchange rate between the dollar and the euro is a factor behind this, since US agencies will no doubt find translation services invoiced in euros quite expensive.

As a reference, EUR->USD sometime in 2000 =0.83 Sometime in 2008: 1.63 (By comparison, GBP->USD ranged from 1.36 to 2.03, not quite as much)

So translations invoiced in euros have potentially gotten twice as expensive for US clients.

P.S. If it is rather presumptuous of me to talk about US and European exchange rates, please forgive me! I follow the currency markets avidly, both because of their significant economic impacts and because of my own currency investments when I lived in the US.

[Edited at 2008-09-27 10:42]

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It depends... Sep 27, 2008

Anil Gidwani wrote:

Did you invoice in euros or dollars? I too have found American clients, even potential, shying away once I quote a price in euros, or its equivalent in dollars.

It is possible that the rapidly eroding exchange rate between the dollar and the euro is a factor behind this, since US agencies will no doubt find translation services invoiced in euros quite expensive.

Sometimes I invoice in dollars, sometimes in euros, it depends on the client, but I always do the conversion, what is strange is that during September dollar increased a bit, so not sure if this is the problem...

[Edited at 2008-09-27 11:16]

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:54
English to German
+ ...
They will be back, Angio :-) Sep 27, 2008

Who knows how your mailbox will look like on Monday morning.

Americans take their vacation time, too. This ends in the first week of September, when the kids have to go back to school. Then creative / operative processes will be continued and, when finished, go into translation.

This has nothing to do with "the new recession". I am seriously wondering if anyone recognizes that we are still dealing with the recession that started nine years ago. Media just LOVES to make us believe that we are stumbling from one recession into the other.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:54
English to French
+ ...
Too busy Sep 27, 2008

Business has suddenly picked up - it's like being swept away by a tornado. Most of the requests I am getting come from US clients. Must be a back-to-school/"let's clear that budget, now, shall we?" sort of thing.

What you describe sounds a lot like what I went through in July. Wait a few weeks, Angio. It is too early to draw conclusions.

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Monday? Sep 29, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Who knows how your mailbox will look like on Monday morning.

Monday? For me, Monday is usually the worst day of the week.

But it is odd - in June/July I was so busy I hardly had time to stack the dishwasher, but now business does seem to be rather slack. I used to get a lot of work from Italy, but now it's just the occasional assignment.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Will be a temporary thing Sep 29, 2008

Angio wrote:
Is recession so serious to decrease the translation business?

Several of our main customers are from the US too. After 11-S and the burst of the .com bubble, we experienced a remarkable decrease in business from them, but after several months everything was more or less back to normal. So it might be the case this time too.

I think that many companies might be waiting for some weeks to see what will happen with the financial situation. But then everything should be back to normal.

xxxMilena Bosco  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi Angio. Sep 30, 2008

Same here. The US market seems to be slowing down (plummeting would be the right term).
I think that this is due to the financial situation at the moment, and the consequent instability of the stock market.

I would say (maybe I am wrong I am not an expert) that a political battle is being played, and I am confident that these games will end when the elections will be held.

Regards,

Milena

mystymy
Local time: 05:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
vacation and now... Sep 30, 2008

Hello,

As someone already posted the last week of August and the first week or two in September are big for holidays here in the States. Some of your loss is probably due to that.

However, now with all this Wall St. crisis, I've noticed everyone is holding ground, nothing is happening unless you are working with last minute financial news (for me this is good) but everything else seems to be in a wait and see pattern. Even my dry cleaner and the bakery staff are nervous.

Hopefully this will pass soon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I suddenly lost almost all my American clients

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs