Is anyone of you working on the GMDN for the EU?
Thread poster: alessandra bocco

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:58
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2008

I'm working with the Italian team which translates the GMDN for the EU. We are experiencing many problems with this translation, since the explanations from Bruxelles are really poor, often come too late, and the corrections they do on our translations are sometimes absolutely incredible. They keep on saying that our work is "below standard" but we can't understand what they would like us to do.
Is anyone of you experiencing this kind of problems? I would like to know if they behave this way with all translators' teams or only with us...
Alessandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:58
Turkish to English
+ ...
GMDN? Oct 1, 2008

Is that "Global Medical Device Nomenclature"?

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Oct 1, 2008

this is the meaning of GMDN

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 01:58
I have never worked for this institute, but I have experience in this sector Oct 1, 2008

If you're getting "below standard", then it means that they don't think the freelancer is making best use of reference material, or they're not keeping to the format. Unfortunately, 'below standard' means there must have been a significant number of serious language and sense errors too. The EU bodies have five review grades for externally-produced translations: Very Good, Good, Acceptable, Below Standard and Unacceptable. Below Standard basically means the text had to be largely re-written/translated, as it could not be used as it was.

All the EU institutes are most insistent about sticking to their terminology, formatting and style. Even if you don't personally agree with the corrections, they want you to use their preferred terms. (Of course, you can go back to them and check any corrections that you think are factually incorrect) The translation team have got to demonstrate that they're taking the feedback on board and applying it to future jobs, if they want to improve on the ratings. It is a steep learning curve, but believe me, it is the best way to turn things around and improve relations.

Are there any comments in Track Changes or in a seperate review file from which you could prepare instructions or a glossary to send to the team?

Good luck!!
Orla

PS - Have they sent you ANY reference material? You can't be expected to produce the kind of work they want if you have nothing to go on.

[Edited at 2008-10-01 21:36]

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Orla Oct 2, 2008

I didn't know which were the other "marks" they gave...
I work through an agency and they make the corrections proposed by the EC, compile the instructions and the glossaries. What really astonished me is the kind of corrections the EC made on our text, since they said there were "serious mistranslations, spelling and grammar errors and lack of conformity" but they marked in red about 10 words in a document 100 pages long, 2 of which were mistranslations... If I had read their changes without reading the comments I would have thought of at least a "good" mark...

Felipe Gútiez  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I have a lot of experience on EU matters Oct 2, 2008

Hi Alessandra,

I have a lot of experience on EU matters, also internal affaires.
If you like more information please you can write to me: gutiez@hotmail.com

By the way, the head of the European Schools is Mr. Ryan and nor Mr. Bocco.
Quite possibly if this were the case your translations would be perfect.

Generally speaking, I am convinced that EU translations are good, BUT,
there are some people there who are not there because of their translation knowledge....

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't mean to say that... Oct 2, 2008

I don't think that the corrections are wrong, I agree with most of them, I just found the comment a bit harsh for the situation...
You know, when you send back a test translation and the agency reply you didn't pass it, you see the corrections and you find out that they changed a few synonims here and there...

Felipe Gútiez  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
No problem Alessandra Oct 2, 2008

The critics are my responsibility, not yours.
Have a nice day

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Maybe the rating is collective Oct 2, 2008

As you are part of a team working on this project, the EU reviewers may only see the work delivered by the agency as a single package and thus can only give it a collective rating. It's possible that some of your colleagues are delivering work that falls well short of the expectations of the EU reviewers, but your agency isn't able to make a distinction between the work of the individual translators (or isn't interested in trying).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is anyone of you working on the GMDN for the EU?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs