Thread poster: N.M. Eklund

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:28
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2008

I know we cannot notarize our own translations, but as translators, would it be an added value to complete our range of offered services by becoming a US notary?
Do you think there is a sufficient demand, or would it be too limited because a notary is only certified for one state?
I'm also curious to know if there are some translators out there who offer this kind of service.

Thanks,
Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:28
English to Russian
+ ...
I... Oct 6, 2008

I don't think it's of great value, unless one works for a company shipping lots of notarized documents with apostilles overseas like adoption documents among other cases.
Anyway, you never know when you might need acting in the capacity of notary next time.

Luis E. Romero
Colombia
Local time: 05:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Notary Oct 6, 2008

Do you live in France or the USA because you need to reside in the US to be able to become a notary. Also, different states have different procedures a person must take to become a notary. For example, in New York State a person must take an exam and pass it and in the state next door, New Jersey, you can just fill out a form and send it in with a fee and you can become a notary. In New York you pay a $60 fee every four years to renew your commission, so in reality it's not a lot of money.

I am a notary for the State of New York, but I work in a law firm so for me it's beneficial because I notarize documents like five times a day.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Notaries are notably different Oct 7, 2008

It's an amusing cultural difference that in countries like Spain a notary is treated with great deference and is one of the traditional figures of authority in any town, while in some American states a notary can be anybody with a rubber stamp and a photocopier.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:28
German to English
+ ...
Yes, very different Oct 7, 2008

Here is a good explanation of what continental European notaries do:
http://www.bnotk.de/Bundesnotarkammer/Stellungnahmen_Positionspapiere/Notare_in_Europa[EN].html

Not really comparable to the position of a US notary.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worth becoming a US notary?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs