Mobile menu

Establishing an association for discussing, steering and voicing best practices for contract terms
Thread poster: zooloo
Local time: 09:27
English to German
+ ...
Oct 24, 2008

Hello everybody,

I am a relatively new casual translator, working on a freelance basis, and have so far already made quite some unfavourable experiences concerning payment and contract terms.

I was wondering whether there is an interest in the community to bundle the knowledge derived from those past issues into a commonly known block of recommendations, that translators and agencies ideally could be convinced to honour during their negotiations and work. These recommendations could be gathered and published on a dedicated web site of some virtual association (of which there are many already), for everybody to contribute.

I am thinking here of recommendations for contents of contract terms, and further some for best practices concerning work flow and technical standards.

I had recently for example the case that the agency was not able to correctly count the words to be translated in the document. Follows: Is there a word counting standard, and a respective tool for it for anybody to use objectively? (Admittedly some things can be quite ridiculous but experience shows that it is necessary.)

I would be very interested to hear the general opinion on this from the "market". There are a lot of associations but the actual working conditions seem not to be touched too much by their working (as far as my little translator history makes me believe). Or are there maybe associations that are especially occupied with these administrative problems?

The plan in this case would be to have a site that is administered by translators (as this site is as well), but with focus on _condensing_ the knowledge into some simple terms and hints (instead of having them scattered in posts on forums), and initially with focus on freelance translation. I would volunteer on the technical side if this would ever come to rolling, but clearly it makes sense only with a broad support and willingness from an established group of translators.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Establishing an association for discussing, steering and voicing best practices for contract terms

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs