UK professional insurance: is it a necessary expense?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:21
English to French
+ ...
Jun 18, 2003

Hello everyone

I run a small agency located in London. We do a lot of web translation - directly on file, customer magazines, and we are now doing more and more financial stuff (press releases, ...)

We work with a network of free lancers over the Net. Some of them have qualifications, some of them don't, some are insured, others not. And not all of them operate from the UK.

The insurance quotes I received recently are not extravagant (Jardine Lloyds & Thom
... See more
Hello everyone

I run a small agency located in London. We do a lot of web translation - directly on file, customer magazines, and we are now doing more and more financial stuff (press releases, ...)

We work with a network of free lancers over the Net. Some of them have qualifications, some of them don't, some are insured, others not. And not all of them operate from the UK.

The insurance quotes I received recently are not extravagant (Jardine Lloyds & Thompson quoted £178 / year for a professional idemnity cover up to £100k), but I wonder what this actually cover... if things turn nasty.

Has anyone ever had to make a claim with this type of insurance? Do you think this is an absolute 'must' or simply something that you need as a plus to show to clients (no worries, we are insured)?

Any input would be very welcomed.
Collapse

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Search the forums! Jun 21, 2003

Good morning, Babelbear,

I would suggest to you that you carry out a search for "professional indemnity" in the forums and you should find a number of previous forums on this subject - I seem to recall that it has been discussed from different angles on a number of occasions.

I hope that you find something helpful, but I think that you will see that there are conflicting opinions on this. Personally, although I believe that is very unlikely that my policy will ever have
... See more
Good morning, Babelbear,

I would suggest to you that you carry out a search for "professional indemnity" in the forums and you should find a number of previous forums on this subject - I seem to recall that it has been discussed from different angles on a number of occasions.

I hope that you find something helpful, but I think that you will see that there are conflicting opinions on this. Personally, although I believe that is very unlikely that my policy will ever have a claim on it (I hope!), I'd rather buy the insurance for the peace of mind!

[Edited at 2003-06-21 21:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK professional insurance: is it a necessary expense?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »