Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
The great 2009 Jan 1st airport lounge thread (we'll all move to the best country for translators)
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Saint Martin/Sint Maarten Nov 4, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

A tropical Euro zone - what more could you want?

I want the same, but more: this is an island of just 37 sq km that is actually shared between France and the Netherlands! So you get the level-headed, down-to-earth practicality of the Dutch, including large clothes-optional areas (the ultimate practicality in hot areas, to my mind) together with the wine, cuisine and culture of the French. Both languages plus English are spoken. Meanwhile, you get to avoid the Dutch weather, although you would have to learn to live with hurricanes.

It sounds like the dream place and one day I'm going to open a residential, naturist English school there - if anyone knows it well and doesn't agree that it's heavenly, please don't prick my bubble!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wonder... Nov 4, 2008

Sheila Wilson wrote:
It sounds like the dream place and one day I'm going to open a residential, naturist English school there - if anyone knows it well and doesn't agree that it's heavenly, please don't prick my bubble!

...but isn't a bit overbuilt? From the air it looks like most flat areas of the island have been heavily built. Of course that does mean that you would have a lot of public for the naturist school, so it might be good for your plans...

I wonder what you think about Reunion. That has always been a place I'd like to see. Maybe I retire there when I'm old and my children don't need me anymore...

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Mini-State Translatoria Nov 4, 2008

Tomas: Canaries may not be surrounded by water, but La Reunion well? Muy misterioso....
Arnaud HERVE wrote:
All this is so obvious, I wonder why those stupid politicians have not invented Eldorado yet...
You are putting another idea in my head.
Why not founding a mini-state like Andorra, San Marino, Monaco?
Provided that
- there are high mountains because we need snow AND sun
- ski is for free especially for dentists which has to be attracted
- there is no pollution in order to attract Swiss and Austrian tunneling experts
- there is the possibility to cultivate wine
- you find enough space or hidden spots for shy pupils of Sheila's English naturist school

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A country without a physical area Nov 5, 2008

Tuliparola wrote:
Why not founding a mini-state like Andorra, San Marino, Monaco?

This is something that has been in my head for a long time. What are the legal chances of individual people to declare themselves expatriate, relinquish their nationality and become citizens of a new country which does not have a physical location?

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Establishing a micronation Nov 5, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

This is something that has been in my head for a long time. What are the legal chances of individual people to declare themselves expatriate, relinquish their nationality and become citizens of a new country which does not have a physical location?

I would however prefer a real physical location, why not somwhere in the Pacific.
At least there have been some attempts in establishing micronations.
Enough supporters and a well filled bank account seems to be the main fundaments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Minerva
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronation

Erik

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Topic not making a difference Nov 5, 2008

Erik Hansson wrote:
I would however prefer a real physical location, why not somwhere in the Pacific.
At least there have been some attempts in establishing micronations.
Enough supporters and a well filled bank account seems to be the main fundaments.

I reckon most of us are not rich people, so this is not a question. What I mean is: if we don't like the political/social system of the country we live in, why shouldn't we be entitled to create another nation and belong to it, without having to move away of our home land and our friends and loved ones? Honestly it looks to me that we are merely slaves of the political system: we are born to pay taxes, and anything we do generates taxes for some authority; we cannot choose whether or not to support the action of the people who placed themselves and their friends at the top of the ladder. They decide what to do with our money... and they take. Just you dare not paying any tax they may invent.

You may say: "If you don't like the system, get into politics to change it". This is not what I am saying: I don't want to be in politics. I just want to be treated as a person and not as a means of producing taxes for our politicians.

So honestly, this topic is just some little amusement with no purpose at all... unless we really suggest something that will make a difference.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Street lighting Nov 5, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
So honestly, this topic is just some little amusement with no purpose at all... .
Amusement does have a purpose for some people, even for some translators.
I visited a lot of powwows and I had the pleasure to meet a lot of multipurpose colleagues. Some of them very playful and with a lot of fantasy. Like Erik for example. I can assure you Tomás, that he is not a grumbler.
About the taxes: A Dutch woman told me that a professor from India came here and said:"Why are you moaning about paying taxes? Everything works well here. Health care, social benefits, police, everything. Even the street lamps!"

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not moaning about paying taxes... Nov 5, 2008

Tuliparola wrote:
"Why are you moaning about paying taxes? Everything works well here. Health care, social benefits, police, everything. Even the street lamps!"

The fact is that I am not against taxes. You probably took me wrong here. I am against excessive taxes. Things can work perfectly well with less taxes. The only requirement is that Governments don't waste piles of money in a degree of luxury we cannot dream of. Local politicians don't need a nice expensive office in a palace downtown, a 3,000-euro armchair, a driver and free car to make street lamps work, I reckon.

Tuliparola wrote:
I visited a lot of powwows and I had the pleasure to meet a lot of multipurpose colleagues. Some of them very playful and with a lot of fantasy. Like Erik for example. I can assure you Tomás, that he is not a grumbler.

Just to be sure: Do I understand from your message that you think I am not playful, don't have fantasy and am a grumbler?

[Edited at 2008-11-05 15:51]

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alberta Nov 6, 2008

What about Alberta?

Taxes seem extremely low, and public services are decent.

Of course the weather is polar in the winter. But for those who like to read and to ski...

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 02:51
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Don't forget the chinook Nov 6, 2008

Albertans do get breaks during the frigid winter.

Plus, with all that disposable income, we could probably afford a couple of months on the West Coast or south to the desert...

Nancy

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alberta + Japan + Corea Nov 18, 2008

Alberta = no VAT. That is really something to consider.

From my experience a lot o people there are a bit square-minded, but hey, I don't have to spend my life with them.

What about japan and Korea? Good to excellent services, but how are taxes?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The great 2009 Jan 1st airport lounge thread (we'll all move to the best country for translators)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »