Mobile menu

Audiovisual droits d'auteur/royalties
Thread poster: CynthiaPiaud
CynthiaPiaud  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
English to French
Nov 5, 2008

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this question has already come up in the past, but I hope you will be able to help me out.

I am an English French subtitler based in the UK, and interested in carrying out audiovisual adaptation work (subtitling & voiceover mainly) for French labs.
So far, I have been working only for agencies based in England and in Belgium, where the question of "droits d'auteur" is not even discussed in most cases, or where one has to give up those rights when signing a contract.

In France, however, all audiovisual translators keep their rights and must subscribe to a specific organism (AGESSA, SACEM, SCAM) which tracks the use/broadcasting of the programmes translated and then redistributes royalties to translators. Here in the UK, this doesn't seem to exist.

So, here's my problem:
if I work for a French lab/agency/company that only pays with "droits d'auteur", will I ever be able to be paid?

Have you heard of this issue before?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audiovisual droits d'auteur/royalties

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs