For legal translators: Why don't agencies offer more litigation work?
Thread poster: Ken Fagan (X)
Ken Fagan (X)
Ken Fagan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:59
French to English
Nov 5, 2008

There is something I've never quite understood.

On the one hand, in one of my guides to Corporate Law Firms in France, I see that, according to their own reckoning, law firms in France make roughly 30-50% of their turnover from Litigation.

On the other, my French agency clients, who send me lots of legal docs to translate, offer me relatively little litigation work.

I'd be grateful for any knowledgeable opinions.

- could it be that agencies don
... See more
There is something I've never quite understood.

On the one hand, in one of my guides to Corporate Law Firms in France, I see that, according to their own reckoning, law firms in France make roughly 30-50% of their turnover from Litigation.

On the other, my French agency clients, who send me lots of legal docs to translate, offer me relatively little litigation work.

I'd be grateful for any knowledgeable opinions.

- could it be that agencies don't target this type of work?
- perhaps law firms are not confident that agencies can do this type of work well?
- something else?

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For legal translators: Why don't agencies offer more litigation work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »