Compulsory course to work for Agency.
Thread poster: Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2003

Very recently I have been sent an application form for a course on Translation that I need to take if I want to work for an agency in Spain. The problem is that the course costs 240 EURO and they ay never offer work afterwards. What would you do?. It's weird this one, isn't it?.

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I'd look for work elsewhere, Jun 25, 2003

if I were you. Why should you pay to complete a test that (I am assuming) is not recognised anywhere else? I've never come across this before and don't see why providing samples, references and even completing a test translation aren't sufficient for this agency.

My initial thoughts, for what it's worth.

Joanne

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
Member (2003)
German to French
Wonderful! Jun 25, 2003

If you want to work for me, I will first teach you how to do... do you offer your baker to teach him how to do bread before buying a "baguette"?
This offer is (in my opinion of course) not an answer worth. And I agree with Joane, this course won't be recognized anywhere else, you bet ?

Domenica Grangiotti
Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Why should you pay to work for them? Jun 25, 2003

It should be the other way round!
Don't fool yourself! Even if you paid, you'd never get work after them.
They are not looking for translators, they are looking for "course payers".

Good luck
Domenica

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
English to French
Waow! Jun 25, 2003

That's a good one.

It's a joke, right?

Come on, are you a translator or are you a student? Student do courses. Translators translate. Let's not mix it.

There is not a chance in the world that the guys actually work only with their course's graduates, that is, if they even have translation jobs at all.

Now, if you feel you need a translation course, that's a totally different st
... See more
That's a good one.

It's a joke, right?

Come on, are you a translator or are you a student? Student do courses. Translators translate. Let's not mix it.

There is not a chance in the world that the guys actually work only with their course's graduates, that is, if they even have translation jobs at all.

Now, if you feel you need a translation course, that's a totally different story. But in that case, I guess you would not be offering translation services at all.

There are thousands of agencies. just pick an other one.
Collapse

Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:51
German to English
jerk them around in return Jun 25, 2003

Exactly, Domenica!

I would write them in a very succinct and business-like tone saying you'll be happy to take their course, provided they pay the "tuition" and all your associated expenses as well!
(But then, I can be "snippy" at times!)

Amazing what some try to get away with!
Sherey

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Thanks, Alkvw....... Jun 25, 2003

Alkvw: "...Es una vieja costumbre española...heredada de los musulmanes ocupantes durante 800 años..." (sic)

"...It's an old Spanish custom....inherited from the Moslem occupants over a period of 800 years..."

Thanks Alkvw,
.....I've spent years longing for someone to speak out against the "ocupación musulmán" (which officially ended in 1492, and in practice far earlier) and its terrible consequences in terms of crime, especially that aimed at freelance trans
... See more
Alkvw: "...Es una vieja costumbre española...heredada de los musulmanes ocupantes durante 800 años..." (sic)

"...It's an old Spanish custom....inherited from the Moslem occupants over a period of 800 years..."

Thanks Alkvw,
.....I've spent years longing for someone to speak out against the "ocupación musulmán" (which officially ended in 1492, and in practice far earlier) and its terrible consequences in terms of crime, especially that aimed at freelance translators.

I think it's brave of you to "denounce" these Moorish practices, still with us after over 500 years.

By the way, There are a few Moslems who can distinguish between a forum in Spanish and one in English..... but worry not. The cunning "musulmanes" have confused you....shurely.....

Andy...a "practising atheist"......but one who thinks certain comments are unwarranted.
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:51
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
agree with Domenica Jun 26, 2003

Domenica Grangiotti wrote:
They are not looking for translators, they are looking for \"course payers\".

Good luck
Domenica

Exactly. Domenica said it very clearly... they are looking for clients.
Ignore them.

Regards from Buenos Aires.
Valeria

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I'd love to answer but... Jun 26, 2003

you'd have to take a Klaus'-answer-reading course first. $25 for a limited time only.

sylver
English to French
Please leave religion out of this Jun 26, 2003

andycw wrote:

Thanks Alkvw,
.....I've spent years longing for someone to speak out against the "ocupación musulmán" (which officially ended in 1492, and in practice far earlier) and its terrible consequences in terms of crime, especially that aimed at freelance translators.

I think it's brave of you to "denounce" these Moorish practices, still with us after over 500 years.

By the way, There are a few Moslems who can distinguish between a forum in Spanish and one in English..... but worry not. The cunning "musulmanes" have confused you....shurely.....

Andy...a "practising atheist"......but one who thinks certain comments are unwarranted.

Will you? Be an atheist integrist in your own personal life if you like, but recognize that others have rights to their own beliefs, so give 'em a break on the forums.

Besides, I believe you did not understand the previous post correctly. It's doubtfull that the "...old Spanish custom....inherited from the Moslem occupants" was to ask one's translation providers to pay for a course.

The quote refered to issuing snippy ironical feedback in response to a bullshit offer. I don't know whether that is indeed a muslim custom, but if it is, I see nothing wrong with that.

Sylvain, practicing tolerance, and also convinced that certain comments are unwarranted.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Sylver.... Jun 28, 2003

A) You advise me to "leave religion out of it". I did not bring religion into it. Our friend Alkvw did. You can read, can't you?
On the contrary: I objected to a gratuitous remark made about a religious(equivalent to ethnic, in this case) group, for no reason whatsoever.

B) You order me to "recognize that others have their own beliefs".
OK. By the same logic, I believe that all the French are thieves and murderers. That's fine, then.....isn't it... You'll "give me a br
... See more
A) You advise me to "leave religion out of it". I did not bring religion into it. Our friend Alkvw did. You can read, can't you?
On the contrary: I objected to a gratuitous remark made about a religious(equivalent to ethnic, in this case) group, for no reason whatsoever.

OK. By the same logic, I believe that all the French are thieves and murderers. That's fine, then.....isn't it... You'll "give me a break" coz it's a forum?

C)As regards the paragraph starting with "Besides, you..." Please look up the word "sarcasm" in a good dictionary. Wonderful things, dictionaries....

D)You aren't sure whether making "bullshit offers" is a "Moslem custom" or not.....but you claim to "practise tolerance".....(?)
Pleased to hear it.

Oh dear, Sylver. Please think before you write, like any decent translator.

Saludos,
Andy.
Collapse

sylver
English to French
Credit card Jun 28, 2003

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

you'd have to take a Klaus'-answer-reading course first. $25 for a limited time only.

Do you take credit cards? Actually, if it's a one on one course, you are damm cheap!

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Let's keep it friendly, guys! Jun 28, 2003

andycw wrote:

OK. By the same logic, I believe that all the French are thieves and murderers. That's fine, then.....isn't it... You'll "give me a break" coz it's a forum?

C)As regards the paragraph starting with "Besides, you..." Please look up the word "sarcasm" in a good dictionary. Wonderful things, dictionaries....

D)You aren't sure whether making "bullshit offers" is a "Moslem custom" or not.....but you claim to "practise tolerance".....(?)
Pleased to hear it.

Oh dear, Sylver. Please think before you write, like any decent translator.

Saludos,
Andy.

I deleted 'alkvw''s posting which was indeed (rather) racist and sent him a warning.

Have a nice weekend,

Evert

sylver
English to French
reply Jun 29, 2003

A. Alkvw made a simple one line quote in Spanish on an English forum to back up an opinion. The subject she is addressing is not that of religion at all. On the other hand, the subject of yours is. This is why I am asking you to leave that topic out of a forum where it does not belong.

B. You are entirely free to believe that all French people are thieves, murderers, that you are the master of the universe or anything else you want to. I will not agree wi
... See more
A. Alkvw made a simple one line quote in Spanish on an English forum to back up an opinion. The subject she is addressing is not that of religion at all. On the other hand, the subject of yours is. This is why I am asking you to leave that topic out of a forum where it does not belong.

B. You are entirely free to believe that all French people are thieves, murderers, that you are the master of the universe or anything else you want to. I will not agree with you, but you have full rights to your opinions. People should have the right to believe what they want to. This is one of the basic human rights, by the way.

C. Sarcasm. Thanks, but I do know the meaning of that word, and that sentence is not a sarcasm. It's a fact that you did not interpret correctly the original post. Stating so does not qualify for a sarcasm.

D. I suggest you read again my post and see if your understanding of it is correct or not. You did not understand the original sentence again - I agree a dictionary would come very handy in that situation.

The custom mentionned was not "making bullshit offers", but "issuing snippy comments in response to a bullshit offer", which is QUITE different.

Cheers,
Sylvain
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compulsory course to work for Agency.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »