Thread poster: kaitak_hk
kaitak_hk
kaitak_hk
Local time: 06:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 27, 2003

I am new in bidding translation jobs.
Agencies ask me the rate in e-word. Say USD0.04/e-word. What does it actually mean?

thierry albert
thierry albert  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:09
Chinese to French
+ ...
English word? Jun 27, 2003

kaitak_hk wrote:

I am new in bidding translation jobs.
Agencies ask me the rate in e-word. Say USD0.04/e-word. What does it actually mean?

I think they mean 'per english word'

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
English word Jun 27, 2003

I am not familiar with this type of offer, but my guess would be .04 US dollars per English word. Most rates are given per target or source word.
Maybe others will have experience with this wording for rates.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
German to English
English word? Jun 27, 2003

Since there is no real comparison between words in English and Chinese, I would think this refers to the source word rate, in your case, the rate per English word.
But I'm just guessing.
Kevin

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Rate per e-word Jun 27, 2003

Oh Dear, you really stumped me on this one. I would immediately say "rate per English word" but that is just a guess. English is written with a capital letter, so why would it be with a small letter.

What if it is "Rate per electronic word, per HTML word" That would not call for a capital letter.

I have never seen it before, but I would be interested to find out myself what it means.

Good luck!
Lucinda

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Soft copy word? Jun 28, 2003

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

What if it is "Rate per electronic word, per HTML word" That would not call for a capital letter.

Perhaps e-word refers to words in a soft copy (guessing).

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
No need to be stumped Jun 28, 2003

Anybody can make a mistake. Thus e has been marked instead of E. This is understandable as the language adjectives such as "English word" are capitalized only in English. But one says "deutsches Wort", no? Perhaps the agency has thought in German or French or it is just an oversight.
At least I have not come across any electronic word and that too in connection with a rate per word and I have been doing translation jobs for morte than 24 years.

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

Oh Dear, you really stumped me on this one. I would immediately say "rate per English word" but that is just a guess. English is written with a capital letter, so why would it be with a small letter.

I have never seen it before, but I would be interested to find out myself what it means.

Good luck!
Lucinda

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:09
English to French
If electronic word... Jun 28, 2003

that would make a pretty damm cheap translation rate for a cooking book.

But I agree, it's most likely to be "$0.04 per English word".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is e-word? (or e/word)

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »