How to charge for verse translation?
Thread poster: Larisa Migachyov
Larisa Migachyov
Larisa Migachyov
United States
Local time: 21:27
Russian to English
Jun 28, 2003

I am about to receive a poem from someone who wishes me to translate it into English verse. He already has a rough English translation that he's not happy with - and it is not in verse, anyway, so I will need to start over. I'm just getting established, so my fee will be much lower than that of an experienced translator, but still, how much does one generally charge for verse translation / versifying?

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:27
English to Dutch
+ ...
Rate per hour or set fee Jun 28, 2003

Larisa Migachyov wrote:

I am about to receive a poem from someone who wishes me to translate it into English verse. He already has a rough English translation that he's not happy with - and it is not in verse, anyway, so I will need to start over. I'm just getting established, so my fee will be much lower than that of an experienced translator, but still, how much does one generally charge for verse translation / versifying?

I don't see how else you could quote for translating poetry. Apply your rate per hour or agree on a set fee.

Good luck, Evert

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Or charge for 1 verse = 10 words Jun 28, 2003

You could propose for 1 verse the same as for 10 words, indipendently from the number of words.

This was the usual rate at my department, when we used to commission a lot of opera librettos.

However, it is just an idea. You should probably talk it over with your client.

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:27
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
UK - TA Rates Jun 28, 2003

Just for information - In the UK the Society of Authors recommend the following rates:
£70 per 1,000 words for prose
£0.75 per line for poetry.
The TA has produced a model translator/publisher contract.
http://www.societyofauthors.org/translators/

I have never translated poetry myself but would probably be tempted to go with an hourly charge.

... See more
Just for information - In the UK the Society of Authors recommend the following rates:
£70 per 1,000 words for prose
£0.75 per line for poetry.
The TA has produced a model translator/publisher contract.
http://www.societyofauthors.org/translators/

I have never translated poetry myself but would probably be tempted to go with an hourly charge.

HTH
Collapse

Anna Sedlackova
Anna Sedlackova
Slovakia
Local time: 06:27
English to Slovak
freeatlast Jun 28, 2003

Larisa, translation of poetry cannot be compared with special translation! It is something very precious and valuable becuase you help create a new work of art. Therefore you could ask high rates per verse, especially for the bound verse!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for verse translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »