https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/122104-rates_for_redoing_translation.html

Rates for redoing translation
Thread poster: lydiar
lydiar
lydiar  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 14:29
French to English
Dec 2, 2008

I've a client that has reviewed their source text (for a website) and decided to rework the whole thing.

I merrily translated the original as requested (and they were happy with the result) but now they need the new version translated.

So far so good, but.... they want to know 'because the text is so similar and of the same content but worded differently' if I can give them a special rate.

I know it's their own fault and it's my time that they are paying
... See more
I've a client that has reviewed their source text (for a website) and decided to rework the whole thing.

I merrily translated the original as requested (and they were happy with the result) but now they need the new version translated.

So far so good, but.... they want to know 'because the text is so similar and of the same content but worded differently' if I can give them a special rate.

I know it's their own fault and it's my time that they are paying for, but is there a way of us both being happy? Should I quote the same rate as normal?

I'm interested to hear how other translators would deal with this situation. Thanks!
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
hourly rate Dec 2, 2008

This is what I'd propose and have been proposing in similar situation for numerous years.
Just be honest about the hours you needed and/or use time tracking software.

This should work out fine.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is what translation memory... Dec 2, 2008

...was invented for.

If you have used a translation memory tool for the first version, you can do an analysis to assess the wordcounts and level of matches you can get.

If you did the previous translation from scratch and have a CAT tool, you might want to align the previous translation and take care of the new version (and eventually any future increments) with the CAT tool.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Take a good look at the material first Dec 2, 2008

And before that, ask them to use Track changes.
If you used a CAT tool, you can get a fairly good idea of how much work you will have. A very rough indicator can be the percentage of the sentences that have been modified. However, different wording must be specified. If they used Find+replace for a number of terms then you will have to edit those sentences - and that will certainly take much less time than translating from scratch. If they reformulated most sentences, changing the word or
... See more
And before that, ask them to use Track changes.
If you used a CAT tool, you can get a fairly good idea of how much work you will have. A very rough indicator can be the percentage of the sentences that have been modified. However, different wording must be specified. If they used Find+replace for a number of terms then you will have to edit those sentences - and that will certainly take much less time than translating from scratch. If they reformulated most sentences, changing the word order and moving the emphasis of the sentence, then you will have to retranslate it. The previous translation will be an aide - but you'll still have to rework the whole thing if they want that the new translation has just as much impact as the original.
Attila
Collapse

lydiar
New Zealand
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
tools Dec 2, 2008

Thanks both, I have requested the files so I can do a comparison via SDLX (this is when it becomes useful!).

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
per hour/ small discount Dec 2, 2008

I am often asked to update translations as the source text has been changed, for which I charge per hour, using a Word compare file. However, in this case it sounds like you would have to retranslate everything - if they have completely rewritten it I would just charge as translation, aand give a goodwill discount as presumably you won't have to do any research. I would make it clear the discount is a one-off favour, that you don't have to offer. It also depends how good the client is, how much... See more
I am often asked to update translations as the source text has been changed, for which I charge per hour, using a Word compare file. However, in this case it sounds like you would have to retranslate everything - if they have completely rewritten it I would just charge as translation, aand give a goodwill discount as presumably you won't have to do any research. I would make it clear the discount is a one-off favour, that you don't have to offer. It also depends how good the client is, how much you want to keep them happy.
Edited to add: I suggest the small discount solution as it sounds like the wording is very different, so Compare files/TM probably won't be much use.

[Edited at 2008-12-02 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

lydiar
New Zealand
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Attila Dec 2, 2008

Would you charge a different rate for the text that needs re-translation even though it is rewording the same old thing?

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Without seeing those changes you can't know Dec 2, 2008

lydiar wrote:

Would you charge a different rate for the text that needs re-translation even though it is rewording the same old thing?

The bottom line is the time you spend with it, so, if Evert's suggestion can be implemented that is the safest (and commonest). However, the client may have an unrealistically low expectation on the time required by this update.

Our next-generation product is expected to be launched in two weeks' time.
Corporation Inc. plans to launch its innovative new product on December 15.

One can argue that the same old thing is rephrased here, but, obviously, you cannot avoid complete retranslation. Without specific details it is hard to say anything.
Attila

[Edited at 2008-12-02 13:34 GMT]

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Re-wording is NOT "the same old thing" Dec 2, 2008

lydiar wrote:
Would you charge a different rate for the text that needs re-translation even though it is rewording the same old thing

As someone mentioned a few weeks ago, there is an extremely large number of possible translations for every source sentence.

If your client changes three or four words in a paragraph, that might classify as "re-wording", but what if all of the sentences are merely "similar"?

If this is a website, the client's intention is to sell themselves. Just because the *message* may end up being "the same" doesn't mean that your job in translating that message will comprise any less work!

For example, is it less work for you to translate:
1) "We provide top-notch consulting services to our professional clientele"
from a source sentence if you once translated:
2) "We offer first-class advisory services that benefit our corporate customers"
simply because the "message" is similar and the words "we" "services" and "our" repeat?

Before making any assumptions, you definitely need to perform some type of analysis on the text(s). And you might even want to discuss with your client the fact that something "similar" to them could very well be something completely different for you.

Only then can you consider whether it's in your best interest to charge your full rate, a discounted rate, or an hourly rate.

lydiar
New Zealand
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Dec 2, 2008

Thanks for all the comments.

I've reviewed the files and as expected the content has changed sufficiently to necessitate a complete re-translation of the whole thing.

I've decided to take Paula's attitude and lower my rate ever so slightly (am I a soft touch or keeping the client sweet for further projects? - you decide:))

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A tiny detail Dec 2, 2008

lydiar wrote:

I've decided to take Paula's attitude and lower my rate ever so slightly

Even though the bottom line is the same, I would present it in a different way: keep the per word rate the same, and add another line to the invoice: "(exceptional) reduction: X%". That way they are more likely to appreciate that it is a favor - and are less likely to ask for the lower price (that you are about to quote) next time.

Attila

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
agreed Dec 2, 2008

Yes, that was what I intended really, a % off the total price rather than a lower rate, and a clear indication that it's an exceptional discount, to reflect the reduced research time,

lydiar
New Zealand
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nice touch Dec 2, 2008

I'm just putting together the proposal so just in time too!
Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for redoing translation

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »