How good or bad is that quote?
Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:25
English to Arabic
Dec 10, 2008

Peace be upon you all,

I just would like to ask your assesment of the following bid that I recently offered, as I am not experienced in this issue so I woud like your honest opinion and any hints:

Dear Mr XXX,
I am Rayyan Eng Ara senior translator/Localizer, I have more than 6 years in the translation/Localization field, My clients are xxx, xxx, xxx, xxxx, and xxx,
I can deliver you the best quality expected as I intend to establish a long term business relationship with you.
My quote is:
0.09 Euro per word (Translation, Editing, Proofreading)
No matter the tool you use I can master it
I have experience using
SDL trados, Logoport, Idiom worldserver, flexytrans Trados workbench
B.R

Anothe question is how can I politely address a woman I don't know whether she is married or not?

I use the title Ms is this right or wrong?

Thanks in advance

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-10 14:30 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ms. is fine Dec 10, 2008

for all women, married or not.

As for the other question, I really couldn't say.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Answers Dec 10, 2008

Hi Mahmoud and Salam aley koum.

"My quote is: 0.09 Euro per word (Translation, Editing, Proofreading)"....how can I politely address a woman I don't know whether she is married or not

Mahmoud, in my opinion 0.09 is the maximum anyone could expect, in most language pairs - and that would only be after the translator has proved they are very expert.

Whether a woman is married or not is just as important/unimportant as to whether a man is married or not. I always use "Ms.".

I hope that helps !

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not true about the rate... Dec 10, 2008

Tom in London... I don't think it is the maximum anyone could expect, let alone in some language pairs.

Tom in London wrote:

Hi Mahmoud and Salam aley koum.

"My quote is: 0.09 Euro per word (Translation, Editing, Proofreading)"....

Mahmoud, in my opinion 0.09 is the maximum anyone could expect, in most language pairs - and that would only be after the translator has proved they are very expert.

I hope that helps !

Anyway... For me, it is not clear what do you provide for 0.09 €/word. You offer to do the 3 steps for 0.09 €? (that is a really low rate then), or do you charge the same for translating as for proofreading (for instance)?

For me, I like my bids to "respond" to the offer, to focus on what they are looking for and forget about everything else. If they need any further information, they will contact you.

I don't know if this answers your question.

Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
Some thoughts Dec 10, 2008

Tom in London wrote:Mahmoud, in my opinion 0.09 is the maximum anyone could expect, in most language pairs

Hmmm, I don't think I can agree with that one unconditionally, but that's another topic altogether I believe.

As for the rest, one thing that comes to mind is to make sure you have permission to name your clients. If they are agencies there is likely no problem, but sometimes agencies have non-disclosure agreements in place that would prohibit such a mention of *their* clients.

If you are permitted to name them, you might want to use a slightly more fluid sentence, such as "I am happy to say that in my years of experience, I have been able to provide my services to renowned firms including (or: such as) xx, xxx, and xxxx."
---
One other thing, I'm not sure what you're trying to say with "best quality expected" - it doesn't sound entirely positive to me, it seems to imply the phrase "under the circumstances", which gives a distinct impression of something actually being lacking in the quality.

Instead, you might want to simply change this to something like "extremely high quality", and possibly give a reason(s) you make this claim ("due to my exhaustive research", "because of my background/education in..." etc.).

Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
Agree about tailoring your bid Dec 10, 2008

Penelope Ausejo wrote: I like my bids to "respond" to the offer, to focus on what they are looking for

I agree with Penelope on this one. I believe this was discussed a little while back, apparently several outsources said they preferred reading responses that provided the specific information they were looking for (and some even immediately discarded responses that didn't).

Of course, if they haven't asked for specific specializations, experience, etc., that makes it a little harder, but if you are answering one particular job posting, I would definitely try to tailor the bid to the job being offered if possible.

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments Dec 10, 2008

Penelope Ausejo wrote:

For me, it is not clear what do you provide for 0.09 €/word. You offer to do the 3 steps for 0.09 €? (that is a really low rate then), or do you charge the same for translating as for proofreading (for instance)?

Thanks Penelope for your comment and concerning your question,
what I meant is that my tranlsation is as good in quality as it was translated, edited and proofread.
As I do my best to concentrate in the translation process and do alot of research, then I re read my translation once again after I finish and check for the speeling and anything else, and after that I read the Target text (Arabic) for any style changes or any changes.
I am sure is that clear in my quotation or not? please correct me?

And as for your second comment:

For me, I like my bids to "respond" to the offer, to focus on what they are looking for and forget about everything else. If they need any further information, they will contact you.

That is what I am trying to do in all the cases but I just want to ask for assistance regarding this final quote as it has no special requirement.

For Tom In London
We Aley Koum Al-Salam
It seems that you are good in Arabic, this is nice.

Thanks Tom for your comment

To Janet:

Janet Rubin wrote:
you might want to use a slightly more fluid sentence, such as "I am happy to say that in my years of experience, I have been able to provide my services to renowned firms including (or: such as) xx, xxx, and xxxx."

That is what I was looking for, thanks Janet for your comment.
And thanks for all of you.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
My £0.02 Dec 10, 2008

Tom in London wrote:

I don't agree with this - and in any case, a sweeping statement such as this ought to be accompanied by some kind of justification.

Whether a woman is married or not is just as important/unimportant as to whether a man is married or not. I always use "Ms.".

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

J Chae  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:25
English to Korean
+ ...
Definitely not. Dec 10, 2008

0.09 Euro is definitely not the maximum anyone could expect. It all depends on which language pairs plus in what subjects you are working.

Additionally, I won't suggest posting your rate in those public forums - we're already full of agencies asking your 'best rate,' we wouldn't need to volunteer in advocating our too personal bottom lines.

[Edited at 2008-12-10 16:44 GMT]

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation process Dec 10, 2008

Mahmoud Rayyan wrote:

what I meant is that my tranlsation is as good in quality as it was translated, edited and proofread.
As I do my best to concentrate in the translation process and do alot of research, then I re read my translation once again after I finish and check for the speeling and anything else, and after that I read the Target text (Arabic) for any style changes or any changes.
I am sure is that clear in my quotation or not? please correct me?

Then, I don't think it is clear. From my point of view, delivering a translation should always include your own proofreading in the target languages, spellchecking, etc. That is included in the translation process. Still, there is a need for a third party to proofread it. So I think you should say 0.09 €/word (translation).

Regarding your quote:

If this is a generic offer what I would do will be to give some information about what your specializations are.

Roberto Cavalcanti  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:25
English to Portuguese
Disclosing customers Dec 10, 2008

Dear Mahmoud
I would not disclose customers in a bid unless they allow me to. There may also have the risk that your customer compete with you.

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to English
A bit sweeping Dec 10, 2008

For my taste, it's a bit too sweeping. Technology - and translation - are fields far too large for one person to be good at everything, so for me a sweeping statement like "no matter the tool you use, I can master it" would be a turn-off. Much better to emphasise what specific things you can do - and what your particular fields of translating expertise are - so that people know what specific things to come to you for.

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nonsense! Dec 11, 2008

Tom in London wrote:

I'm sorry to be a bit harsh, Tom, but thanks God, it's an opinion, yours!
Additionally, a rate is something that is negociated, and not expected
@Mahmoud: Please raise your rates!

My 20 cents,
Aniello from Munich (not really)

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Addressing the ladies! Dec 11, 2008

Mahmoud Rayyan wrote:
Anothe question is how can I politely address a woman I don't know whether she is married or not?

Hmmm, I'm not sure that I can think of a situation where you would only know a woman's surname but not what "title" she uses OR what her first name is.

In other words, you must already know she is Mrs. Smith or she is Anne Smith, from whatever source you obtained her name from. If you find out her name is Anne Smith, just start your email "Dear Anne Smith".
Now, I guess your question could be "if I know she is called Anne Smith, should I write 'Dear Mrs Smith or Dear Miss Smith or Dear Ms Smith or...?"
I would say keep it simple, and just write Dear Anne Smith.
(Some people might even say, with email being more informal, just write Dear Anne. I would prefer not to, not for initial contact)

If you don't even know the name of the person you are writing to, let alone their sex, just write "Dear Sir/Madam". A little old fashioned, but it works.

And stick with your 0.09 EUR rate. You might not always get it, but it is a reasonable level to aspire to for general agency work, in my opinion. There again, I don't know much about rates for Arabic work....

Good luck!

Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
Opinion from a lady Dec 11, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote: I would say keep it simple, and just write Dear Anne Smith.

Ahhh Charlie, on this one I'm afraid I disagree. IMHO, letters addressed this way sound like they're automatically generated with some program searching a database of names (as they often are). I simply HATE receiving any type of correspondence addressed this way.

Where I come from, Ms. (or as you Brits may prefer, Ms) correctly refers to any woman of unknown marital status or one who simply prefers not to disclose or use marital status, especially in a professional situation, and is always used unless the person has previously written to you as a Mrs. or a Dr.

For me, Ms. (followed by last name) is the way to go.

But I do agree with Charlie that if you're not sure of gender, the Dear Sir or Madam rule applies.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How good or bad is that quote?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs