Mobile menu

Liability insurance for translation services
Thread poster: Emina Popovici

Emina Popovici  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
English to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 10, 2008

I applied for a project here on Proz some time ago, and the agency selected me to join their team of translators for this particular project. They sent me a form to fill in, everything looks ok, but there is a line where they ask me if I have liability insurance, and furthermore, if I happen to have it, to reveal the name of the insurance company and the maximum amount covered by my policy.
Is this normal? Why would they need this information?
This is the first time an agency asks me for such information, and I need a piece of advice here. Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Similar question Dec 10, 2008

I've posted a similar question some time ago - maybe some of these answers can help you.

Personally I would never reveal such data to a third party.
Hope you'll get a lot of useful answers (and I'll read them, Ivana.

Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simply say no... Dec 10, 2008

I was once offered to sign a contract, holding me liable for thousands of dolars, in case the translation went wrong, or I coudn't deliver the work on time, or totally.

So I refused to sign it. Then they change the contract, so it was only then that I signed it.

About contracting liability insurance yourself, I do not see why should purchase it yourself; at the most, they should provide you with some.

In any case, it may be just too complicated and expensive for a translator to do. Let them insure you.

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
one hypothesis Dec 11, 2008

Hello Emina,

One reason I can think of that an agency would ask you that is that said agency is responding to an RFP where the company/institution requires bidders to hold liability insurance.

Without more detail, it is difficult to judge whether that agency's requiring that of you is legitimate or not. Normally, the agency would hold the contract, and then farm out the work, which means the agency is the one ultimately responsible and the one which should have liability insurance.

I'd tread carefully!

RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never ever tell a client you have an insurance poicy if you had one Dec 11, 2008

I do agree with Ivana.

Henry Hinds use to say that he doesn't know any translator being sued because of a faulty translation, and he has been in this business for 37 years. IMO this is because most translators do not have insurance policies; people know that they will not get much money suing a translator.

Telling a client you have an insurance policy is an invitation to sue you.

[Edited at 2008-12-11 17:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Liability insurance for translation services

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs