Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:48
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2008

If you plan to send your Xmas cards to your partners, please do NOT use To: adress field for it.

Use Blind Carbon Copy - Bcc: instead.

The reason is simple: piling dozens of Email adresses into the To: field makes them visible to every one in the receiving crowd. Some of them may decidedly dislike the idea of their adress being made public. Second, rather serious reason to avoid To: has to do with spam, malware, viruses etc: it takes just one infected system among the received parties and all adresses in the mail sent get compromised.

Now, you surely do not intend to pass a dose of electronic clap to your partners, do you?

So, please, use Bcc: for mass mails. In this case, as you well know, every single adressee (and whoever is looking over her or his shoulder) will see just his or her own adress in the mail.

Regards and Merry Xmas everybody

Vito

[Edited at 2008-12-21 07:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:48
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Or just To, one at a time as separate messages Dec 21, 2008

Makes it seem more personal, in my opinion.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To: with one adress only is much nicer, of course, and much more appreciated too... Dec 21, 2008

Makes it seem more personal, in my opinion.

... but starting with a dozen or so adresses, it is hard to keep the concentration: you start to miss some, you send it twice to the same person etc (my middle name is experience

Regards

Vito

[EDIT] ... On the other hand (thinking about it): in case discussed in my starting mail, being just one more ...Email... among that crowd of strangers makes it so prosaic, if not degrading. So one more reason for DON'T

[Edited at 2008-12-21 09:09 GMT]

Nigel Greenwood  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
what happened to good old hand written, mailed, letters? Dec 21, 2008

in these days of IT, we seem to have forgotten about how nice a good handwritten personally dedicated letter is. Not talking about those who do not 'enjoy' the niceties of electronic digital communication. By niceities, I also include the likes of 'viruses, computer breakdowns, cuts in internet connections, etc.'
Just on 'special' occassions let's get back to using 'old-fashioned' letters and cards.

Nigel.

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
personal or not at all Dec 21, 2008

Hi, Vito and Jack:

Yesterday I received an email with season's greetings from someone I barely know. He is a good friend of a friend of mine and he must have clicked "reply all" in the mass message that she had sent earlier. Hmm!

I like to think that whoever sends me greetings has spent at least a moment thinking about me. That's the idea, isn't it: I bring you to my heart, at least for a second, and I wish you well. Somehow, it's probably better for the sender this way too.

My best wishes to you both,

I'm editing here: to Nigel too!

Lucía

[Edited at 2008-12-21 10:08 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will do it for eveyone separate for sure Dec 21, 2008

jI like to think that whoever sends me greetings has spent at least a moment thinking about me.

++

But, well, the last post with seasons greetings with 50+ addresses in the wrong place came from my wife's best friend (duh...).

She's very dear to both of us, we have known her for 30+ years and I can just imagine how it was: Friday 16:45 before holidays, last frantic calls before closing for the year (...have to buy the presents, where's that d*n shopping list...) oh h*ll, nearly forgot my friends, Bang, bang, bang... Probably her gynecologist, local police station and Kindergarten have been included in the list as well, but believe me, I did not feel like checking.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-12-21 11:52 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Mass emails? Never ever!!! Dec 21, 2008

The worst thing one can do - it's like shooting oneself in the foot.
Even personalized mass emails is something to avoid!
Better try a handwritten letter or card! It works wonders - for any kind of relationship!

My 20 cents
Aniello

PS:
What's most embarrassing?
Sending an email to someone who you have no relationship with at all

[Edited at 2008-12-21 16:56 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:48
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Be serious and considerate with greeting cards Dec 21, 2008

When we were writing cards and delivered by postal service, we were very intentional to do.
Do the same with e-card. The receipient will be happier to recceive it.
A cheap and easy-taking e-mail only hurt recipients these days of enormous spam mails.

Soonthon L.

xxxKhrystene
Australia
Polish to English
+ ...
Nothing wrong with mass emails.... Dec 21, 2008

But I agree with the writer, people should really learn how to use their email programs and particularly the BCC and 'edit' options. I'm fed up with my email going to all and sundry on a mailing list, AND I'm sick of seeing forwarded email messages with the 'old' message from the originator still attached...

People! Get with it!

Merry "whatever you celebrate or don't"!!

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
If I don't see my address in the To: field, I discard Dec 21, 2008

I may have deleted some "valid" greeting cards, but I never click on a link if I do not see my personal email in the header, and something clearly identifying the sender or myself (other than my email address) in the message body.
If other recipients do the same, you're probably losing your time when sending mass greetings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please send your Season's Greetings with Bcc

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs