Mobile menu

Notarized translations - how can I offer them?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:37
Member (2004)
German to English
Jan 29, 2002

Hi!

A job has just been posted DE > EN asking for notarized translators who live in UK/Eire. Now I know this is something common in Germany but rather less so in this little island. I recently had to get a photocopy notarized so I know where to find a notary locally. But can he just sign off my translation? Or how does it work? Do I have to get some kind of approval like you do in Germany? Or do I have to be a notary who also translates? Thanks for your info.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:37
Member (2002)
German to English
Not notarized translations but notarized translators Jan 29, 2002

Hi Gillian,

Yes you need to get approval (like in Germany) and become a sworn translator. You can then put your official stamp on translations of official documents such as birth certificates, contracts etc.

Can\'t tell you how to become a sworn translator in the UK or the Emerald Isle (which I dearly miss) but no doubt someone else can answer this part of your question.

HTH

Patricia Myers
United States
Local time: 03:37
English to Catalan
+ ...
Jan 29, 2002

Hi,

I don\'t know where to get it where you live but in Spain you have to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Maybe it\'s the same there.

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
English to Russian
+ ...
notarized translation Jan 30, 2002

if you have a relevant education (degree in translation) or are certified by national / local professional association - you can bring your translation to any notary public, write below your work smth like:

\"True translation\", then put your name (ie sign your statement), and then notary will put his/her stamp verifying your signature.

Notaries public mainly verify your identity.

MdT  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Irrevelant in the US Jan 30, 2002

Gillian,

When notarizations of translations are asked in the US, they are usually asked by very ignorant attorneys (of which we have an abundance).

All a US notary can do is witness a singature on a document. Notaries have no authority to validate the contents of a translation.

When we are asked (rarely) to notarize a translation, it is proof we are dealing with an idiot client.

MdT

MdT  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...

Gillian,

When notarizations of translations are asked in the US, they are usually asked by very ignorant attorneys (of which we have an abundance).

All a US notary can do is witness a singature on a document. Notaries have no authority to validate the contents of a translation.

When we are asked (rarely) to notarize a translation, it is proof we are dealing with an idiot client.

MdT

MdT  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...

Gillian,

MdT

MdT  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...

Gillian,

MdT

xxxPaulaMac
French to English
+ ...
Notarization Feb 21, 2002

I agree with Vladimir. I sometimes have to have translations notarized, so prepare a statutory declaration stating who I am, that I am a certified translator, and that Document X is a true translation of Document Y (you have to state it is a true translation - \"to the best of my knowledge\" just won\'t wash), and that I declare all of that to be true. I sign it in the presence of the notary (in my case a lawyer). The notary is only declaring that I signed the document, NOT that the translation is accurate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notarized translations - how can I offer them?

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs