Bad behaviour or not
Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:00
English to Arabic
Dec 25, 2008

Dear All,
Today I received a mail from a mediator (a company that is supposed to send me a translation test on behalf of an employer)
At first I didn't know whether this mediator is a person or a company, anyways I got this mail:

Dear Mahmoud,

Pls find enclosed the exam for further delivery after 2 hours from receipt.
Thank you
xxxxxx (with no titles or business card enclosed or whatsoever, just the first name)

Then I replied
with the following:

Dear XXXXXXX,
Thank you.

And Surprise, I got this reply from him:

you r talking to a general manager and you must you the title. Lean how to deal with your superior.
XXXXXX

I apolpgized to him for addressing him in an informal way and told him:
Dear Mr XXXX
Sorry for addressing you in this informal way, but I didn't see any title in your signature, only the name, and I noticed that the style of your letter is informal too "Dear Mahmoud"
forgive me once again and accept my aplogies.

The Question is:
AM I MISTAKEN???????????????????

And how should I know that he is my superior!!!!!!!

Please inform me

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:00
English to German
+ ...
As a freelancer, *you* are your boss. Dec 25, 2008

Hi Mahmoud,
xxxxxx (with no titles or business card enclosed or whatsoever, just the first name)

Enough reason not to accept any assignment (not even a test).

And how should I know that he is my superior!!!!!!!

He isn't.
As a freelancer, you run an independent business - IOW you are your own boss.

Given this response, I would end the business relationship before it starts - politely, but firmly.

Best regards,
Ralf

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:00
English to Russian
No superiors Dec 25, 2008

Simply, there are can be no superiors in relations between a customer, and a supplier.
Bad behaviour took place from mediator's side, not from yours. Huge arrogance from really small person.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
He's the one with problems Dec 25, 2008

No need for you to blame yourself - he's got a massive chip on his shoulder.

Personally, I'd drop him as he's quite likely to have problems dealing with translators at every stage of the process. It sounds as though he wants a master+dog relationship with you running for the stick.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Dec 25, 2008

1 He is not your boss. If he uses familiar treatment towards you there is no reason why that should not be reciprocal. (Even if he were your boss reciprocality is usually assumed, isn't it?)
2 He has the worst manners ever. I would use stronger language but this seems to be a picky forum.
3 TWO HOURS from receipt?

Summary: run like they are chasing you, unless you really need the money.

Caveat: The above applies to most or all Western societies. His email might be considered more acceptable in other environments.

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
SPAM Dec 25, 2008

Are you sure, he is representing a translation company? For me it looks like SPAM. In any case dont work for this person, if it is supposed to be a job and dont apologise. He has to.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You are at fault Dec 25, 2008

Mahmoud Rayyan wrote:
And surprise, I got this reply from him:
You are talking to a general manager and you must use the title. Lean how to deal with your superior.
I apolpgized to him for addressing him in an informal way and told him...

You did the wrong thing. I'm sorry to tell you this, but when he wrote the above text to you, you should have responded differently.

One correct response would have been to download this image and mail it to him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_gesture02.jpg

Another, more subtle approach may have been to simply ignore his mail. But you should not have apologised to him. That is my opinion. Because by signing his mail with only a name, no title, no surname, etc, he sent you a signal that this is how he wanted you to address him.

[Edited at 2008-12-25 19:24 GMT]

Denise Idel
Israel
Local time: 03:00
Hebrew to Romanian
+ ...
Totally agree with Vadim and Erica... Dec 25, 2008

Vadim Poguliaev wrote:

Simply, there are can be no superiors in relations between a customer, and a supplier.
Bad behaviour took place from mediator's side, not from yours. Huge arrogance from really small person.

Are you sure, he is representing a translation company? For me it looks like SPAM. In any case dont work for this person, if it is supposed to be a job and dont apologise. He has to.

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:00
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Nice picture Samuel Dec 25, 2008

Thank you all, now I felt better, you don't know how I felt when first I read his mail, I was so angry because I don't like to behave in an ill mannered way towards any person.
Thank you Erica for your response, actually he is not a spam, it is a real company and as I said in my post they were just a mediator for the expected employer, anyway after what I read here, I feel that I don't want this job.
Thank you all for the support.
I really like this place.

Sonja Kroll  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Oh dear. Dec 25, 2008

It's not the worst thing that he has shown you who he is _before_ you got into business with him. I'd stay clear of him with a generous additional safety margin and once again praise my freedom to choose my business relations.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
++ Dec 25, 2008

Sonja Kroll wrote: It's not the worst thing that he has shown you who he is _before_ you got into business with him.

No need to brownnose if one can keep his nose clean and breath fresh air as his or her own boss.

And, btw, that dude is a complete moron.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 20:00
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Blue Board Dec 26, 2008

Mahmoud Rayyan wrote:

it is a real company and as I said in my post they were just a mediator for the expected employer, anyway after what I read here, I feel that I don't want this job.

Is this company listed on the Blue Board? If not, please add it. Other translators may wish to add their comments and experiences.

I really like this place.

Nancy

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
agree Dec 26, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Sonja Kroll wrote: It's not the worst thing that he has shown you who he is _before_ you got into business with him.

No need to brownnose if one can keep his nose clean and breath fresh air as his or her own boss.

And, btw, that dude is a complete moron.

and that is all there is to it...

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:00
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Judge from writing styles Dec 26, 2008

If I get a mail from a new contact, I judge reliability of the sender from writing styles. If informal words are seen (e.g. r for are, u for you) I ignore or set a very low priority or just ignore it.
I want a business way to contact for business, not an informal way.

Soonthon L.

Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:30
English to Marathi
+ ...
The deadline Dec 26, 2008

Sometimes ago, I experienced that some translators unable to complete their given task before the submission time. They go for a trick that some of their work could be handled by other translators, mostly freshers, under the name sample translation. While communicating, their attitude is that sending the translation job as a sample is kind of debt of gratitude on the fellow translator.

This is a cheap business conduct. I usually react to such translation offers as follows :

1] If I am sure about the company / translator who is sending the sample job, I send the translation within a week or two. Because well known companies / translators do not require sample translation instantly as their only motive is to add me in their database for the future assignments.

2] Sometimes, somehow if the other end party is known to me personally then I do the sample translation given, partly but indeed beautifully on the same day. So that they understand the quality of my translation in first 2-3 lines. But usually, I do not give translation of the sample more that 5-6 lines as a time.

3] If I have a doubt about the party which is sending the sample translation, I send them sample translation similar to the subject shown in the sample translation sent by them viz. if it is mobile technology translation, I send them the piece of the translation done by me earlier in the subject mobile technology. I do not give translation of the sample that they have sent.

4] If I feel the other end party is not trustworthy or unreliable, I simply tell them that I stopped giving sample translation long ago. XYZ is my Proz Profile Number; Please visit my profile and you will find that I am perfect and most eligible person for your job. My rate is .... {Ofcourse, not so rudely but politely}

I do this because I had number of past experiences about the sample translation done. Some parties do not even bother to reply your emails once you submit the translation. Some parties say that sample translation is OK but rate that I will charge is too high while other translators who work for them charge 1/3th the rate I asked for. Thus list of such excuses is endless. Better to be alert always.

[Edited at 2008-12-26 05:02 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad behaviour or not

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs