https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/123949-do_you_mind_to_do_a_translation_job_for_a_translation_firm.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Do you mind to do a translation job for a translation firm?
Thread poster: samtanaka
samtanaka
samtanaka  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:36
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 30, 2008

As a translator,I don't like to do a translation job for a translation firm.

That filling is not so good.

How about you,or do you have any idea?

Thanks

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
??? Dec 30, 2008

If I understood what you mean, you don't like working for translation agencies. Is this correct?

From my experience, each client is different. Both direct clients and translation agencies exist in all shades from excellent to terrible,

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My opinion Dec 30, 2008

samtanaka wrote:
As a translator, I don't like to do a translation job for a translation firm. That filling is not so good.

I think the situation depends on the particular translation firm. Can you tell us what experiences you've had with translation firms in the past, or what you believe makes fillings at translation firms not so good? Where would filling be better, in your opinion?

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
that's odd Dec 30, 2008

i think most of prozians got their jobs from translation firms/agencies, cmiiw. if you don't like working with them, then you should work with end-client directly.

sylviyang
sylviyang
Sierra Leone
Local time: 17:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
strange....... Dec 30, 2008

I think it depends on the material you are going to handle and the terms and conditions upon....

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:36
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Why? Dec 30, 2008

Currently, I only work with translation agencies. They find the clients for me, and often take care of the proofreading and DTP. I probably would get better rates with direct clients, but I'm satisfied with the rates I currently have. If I wanted to get direct clients, I would have to put a lot of effort into marketing myself. I like to concentrate on what I do best - translating - and the agencies make that possible.

There are agencies that try to get translators to work for peanu
... See more
Currently, I only work with translation agencies. They find the clients for me, and often take care of the proofreading and DTP. I probably would get better rates with direct clients, but I'm satisfied with the rates I currently have. If I wanted to get direct clients, I would have to put a lot of effort into marketing myself. I like to concentrate on what I do best - translating - and the agencies make that possible.

There are agencies that try to get translators to work for peanuts and do not care about the quality, but it is your choice whether you want to work with them or not. And anyway, there probably are such direct clients too. Luckily, there are lots of good agencies (and direct clients) that expect good guality and are willing to pay for it.

[Edited at 2008-12-30 15:27 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:36
German to English
+ ...
I prefer custard filling, actually Dec 30, 2008

Though I do tend to fill my work schedule with jobs from translation agencies. The good ones are excellent partners who save me a lot of time marketing and dealing with end customers and studiously chase down answers when I need them. The others? Well, they don't last long in my contact file.

So what's the problem? If you don't like dealing with agencies for whatever reason, go chase end clients. Lots of people do, and the margins appear to be better, though often this is not the ca
... See more
Though I do tend to fill my work schedule with jobs from translation agencies. The good ones are excellent partners who save me a lot of time marketing and dealing with end customers and studiously chase down answers when I need them. The others? Well, they don't last long in my contact file.

So what's the problem? If you don't like dealing with agencies for whatever reason, go chase end clients. Lots of people do, and the margins appear to be better, though often this is not the case when one factors in all the addition time and expense involved in acquisition, communication and customer relations.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Your CV needs filling ... Dec 30, 2008

... Some serious filling.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, I don't 'mind' at all Dec 30, 2008

If you work with excellent agencies - and there are plenty out there, contrary to popular belief - they take a load of trouble, time, effort and frustration off your hands leaving you to concentrate on what you get paid to do, namely translate.

I personally hate dealing with end-clients (other than the lawyers I work with directly) so I'm more than happy to leave the customer relations side of things to agencies. I'm not a people's person and never will be.

Just don't
... See more
If you work with excellent agencies - and there are plenty out there, contrary to popular belief - they take a load of trouble, time, effort and frustration off your hands leaving you to concentrate on what you get paid to do, namely translate.

I personally hate dealing with end-clients (other than the lawyers I work with directly) so I'm more than happy to leave the customer relations side of things to agencies. I'm not a people's person and never will be.

Just don't deal with those agencies that aren't up to scratch. Simple as that.

[Edited at 2008-12-30 18:15 GMT]
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
:) filling/feeling Dec 30, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
... Some serious filling.

it does indeed

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Food for thought Dec 30, 2008

...I don't like to do a translation job for a translation firm...

Hm... It's like saying "I don't like to do a translation job for a client."

By the way, I just scanned your profile: Why should I choose you as a translator to work with?

My 20 cents
Aniello

[Edited at 2008-12-31 07:25 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Plenty? Dec 30, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Debs,

I'm in here, where for each really excellent translation agency - some listed with WWA=5 on my profile, not sure anyone can see them - there are four who don't care/know much about translation nor translators, all they want is to make a quick buck.

So what is the route to get to this out there place, where these few excellent agencies become "plenty"?

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Bad news. If you were not a people person, you wouldn't bother about this forum and the people who write in it. Maybe you are just not the teacher type.

End-clients often have to be taught/corrected about translation and all its "side effects" such as DTP, dubbing, subtitling, web publishing, PDF, DVD authoring, sworn/certified translations, copyrights... the list is endless. As too many PMs from "bad" agencies don't know it either, it's useless to ban end-clients just for them being so.

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

The problem is that these - according to Pareto's Law - comprise 80% of them, numerically. So it's not like searching for a needle in a haystack, more like doing it in a cluttered drawer, that contains some scattered razor blades too.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 10:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
CV? One line does not a CV make. Dec 30, 2008

If I may second and reinforce Mervyn Henderson's good observation: Your CV needs some serious filling.

Because a one-line entry does not make a CV, you might well look at some of the CVs and resumes posted by various other members of proz.com.

Those useful samples may enable you to develop a better idea of the format and contents of a customary CV used by many practitioners to promote their capabilities, services, and fields of their competence in the "global language
... See more
If I may second and reinforce Mervyn Henderson's good observation: Your CV needs some serious filling.

Because a one-line entry does not make a CV, you might well look at some of the CVs and resumes posted by various other members of proz.com.

Those useful samples may enable you to develop a better idea of the format and contents of a customary CV used by many practitioners to promote their capabilities, services, and fields of their competence in the "global language services industry."

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Kurdish, and Persian
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 10:36
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Filling / feeling Dec 30, 2008

Funny that, for being a particularly non-PC individual and often getting into trouble because of it, I'm completely taken aback by a few (not all) of the "filling" comments. Samtanaka's profile may be lacking and his/her English might be far from perfect, but he/she does not translate into English, and his/her native language isn't English either. Can we all please grow up and behave like adults?

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
20% is plenty Dec 30, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

The problem is that these - according to Pareto's Law - comprise 80% of them, numerically. So it's not like searching for a needle in a haystack, more like doing it in a cluttered drawer, that contains some scattered razor blades too.

So put on some chainmail gloves when you search the drawer. Seriously, though, it's not that hard to tell the worthwhile agencies from the losers if you know what you are looking for. It's good to start by pricing yourself in a range that will scare off the bottom feeders right away. And I think you yourself listed some very sensible screening criteria in these forums recently, José.

Whether the troublesome agencies comprise 80% or 90% or even 95%, that still leaves a lot of good ones to cherry-pick. You just have to have your filters set correctly as you know.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you mind to do a translation job for a translation firm?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »