https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/124144-why_should_i_be_expected_to_sign_invoices_to_clients.html?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why should I be expected to sign invoices to clients?
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2009

I have a few clients - very few - who want a printed, signed invoice by post.

I never get invoices with signatures when I buy stuff, like stationary, computer equipment, ect.

Why should I be expected to sign?

(I live in Spain, by the way).

What do you think? Is it logical?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-05 14:42 GMT]

Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Old Ways Die Hard Jan 4, 2009

In my time in Mexico I also noticed that many times invoices had to be physical and had to be signed.

As far as I know, it was the old way before computers, faxes and electronic bank transfers when no paper invoice meant no obligation to pay. The signature thing may help tell real from fake invoices, like someone else trying to pass off a copied invoice as real.

I'm not sure if it's legally required or if it's just the way things are done. In any case, a happy client is
... See more
In my time in Mexico I also noticed that many times invoices had to be physical and had to be signed.

As far as I know, it was the old way before computers, faxes and electronic bank transfers when no paper invoice meant no obligation to pay. The signature thing may help tell real from fake invoices, like someone else trying to pass off a copied invoice as real.

I'm not sure if it's legally required or if it's just the way things are done. In any case, a happy client is a recurring client, no?
Collapse

Christina Courtright
Christina Courtright  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Call me old-fashioned... Jan 4, 2009

I send signed invoices on my own initiative. Just like it that way. On my letterhead, using my own format. It just seems both more personal and more formal. Does it guarantee timely payment? No, I suppose not. But it seems to give more accountability.

Baruch Avidar
Baruch Avidar  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:37
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A possible way to do it Jan 4, 2009

Print your invoice, sign it (handwritten), scan and send by e-mail.
For all my international customers this is good enough (some require to use their invoicing links via Internet).
In Israel (maybe also in Spain), it is mandatory to issue an additional and equivalent tax invoice, for accounting books and a copy for own records( in local currency.)

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:37
English to German
+ ...
Why not? Jan 4, 2009

In Germany signing invoices is neither required nor would it invalidate the invoice. So if a client wants me to place my signature, personal lipstick kiss, or the joke of the week on my invoice, I will do it as long as it will make him feel better.

Concerning the printed invoice, this is a legal requirement in Germany, so the client is entitled to ask for it (and save money and time to print it ou
... See more
In Germany signing invoices is neither required nor would it invalidate the invoice. So if a client wants me to place my signature, personal lipstick kiss, or the joke of the week on my invoice, I will do it as long as it will make him feel better.

Concerning the printed invoice, this is a legal requirement in Germany, so the client is entitled to ask for it (and save money and time to print it out).
Collapse

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
Allegedly Jan 4, 2009

Hi all,

I also used to sign my invoices until I lately heard from a colleague that according to EU regulations a signed invoice, allegedly, means said invoice has been paid.

I'd much appreciate if someone could either confirm or deny this.

Sherefedin

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Qualified Electronical Signature Jan 4, 2009

Harry Bornemann wrote:
Concerning the printed invoice, this is a legal requirement in Germany, so the client is entitled to ask for it (and save money and time to print it out).

In Germany electronical invoices are allowed only, if they carry a so called qualified electronical signature (QES). In this case no printed invoice, let stand a physical signature from the supplier is required.

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
signature Jan 4, 2009

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:

I also used to sign my invoices until I lately heard from a colleague that according to EU regulations a signed invoice, allegedly, means said invoice has been paid.

I'd much appreciate if someone could either confirm or deny this.

Sherefedin

An invoice is paid only , if the money has been received on your account or the invoice amount has been netted with a counter account. An invoice never is a receipt/aquittance (Dutch: kwijting) unless this is stated in writing on the invoice.

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
EUR 99 Jan 4, 2009

Hans G. Liepert wrote:

In Germany electronical invoices are allowed only, if they carry a so called qualified electronical signature (QES). In this case no printed invoice, let stand a physical signature from the supplier is required.

EUR 99 + MwSt, valid for 2 years .. so it won't save much compared to the occasional postage ..

https://www.d-trust.net/internet/files/2.Preisinformationen.pdf

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Who allows - the customer or the law? Jan 4, 2009

Hans G. Liepert wrote:

In Germany, electronic invoices are allowed always, unless the client's accountant says they are not, which is very seldom. At least, that is the way I have experienced it.

Whether the customer's allowance of this practice is permissible, I know not. Why me worry?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Unconfirmed legend... Jan 4, 2009

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:
...until I lately heard from a colleague that according to EU regulations a signed invoice, allegedly, means said invoice has been paid.

I've heard that legend before, but this is the first time I hear the "EU regulations" twist. The version I've heard simply stated that "in some countries" a signed invoice is considered a receipt. Having fallen for this little myth myself, I currently add "This is an invoice, not a receipt" at the bottom of all my [signed] invoices.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 03:37
Spanish to English
Coincidence? Jan 4, 2009

The sole request for signed, physical (mailed) invoices came from an outsourcer using receipt of the signed invoice to start the payment clock, which was already sufficently long ("xxx days after the end of the month in which the signed invoice is received").
Signed invoices are never issued in Peru; here signing indicates payment has been received (SUNAT regs).

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Signing and stamping invoices Jan 4, 2009

Just ten years ago, it was common for Spanish firms to demand signed and stamped invoices. I understand that this was never a legal requirement - but had become a time-honoured practice.

Very few of these dinosaurs have survived.

Spain also used to have a small army of semi-retired men who would faithfully queue for you outside the door of client's office on the monthly supplier payment day. The last foot soldiers in this patient army are now queuing outside the pearly
... See more
Just ten years ago, it was common for Spanish firms to demand signed and stamped invoices. I understand that this was never a legal requirement - but had become a time-honoured practice.

Very few of these dinosaurs have survived.

Spain also used to have a small army of semi-retired men who would faithfully queue for you outside the door of client's office on the monthly supplier payment day. The last foot soldiers in this patient army are now queuing outside the pearly gates.

Legally, I believe everyone is currently required to post a copy of an invoice - or alternatively follow a surprisingly complex 'official' procedure for emailing an invoice.

Nevertheless, the vast majority of Spanish companies use common sense and gladly accept invoices that are sent as simple attachments to emails.
Collapse

Sidra
Sidra
Brazil
Local time: 05:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Signing invoices Jan 4, 2009

There is an outsourcer in Latvia who requested a signed invoice in black ink pen. After the invoice was sent, she then said that her accountant needed it signed in blue in and not black. That sounded strange.

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Better sign in colour Jan 4, 2009

Layla Aldworth wrote:

After the invoice was sent, she then said that her accountant needed it signed in blue in and not black. That sounded strange.
This does not sound strange to me, because a black signature can easily be mixed up with a cheap copy, a blue one not (yet). I guess the outsourcer mixed this up because she did not understand the reason.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why should I be expected to sign invoices to clients?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »