Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2009

Apologies in advance for the naivety of this question.

When negotiating prices with agencies for translations in which either Trados or Wordfast is a requirement, is it an absolute expectation that price-per-word be divided among different match categories such as "exact match", "fuzzy match" and "no match"? Or is it possible--and generally acceptable--to simply agree on a flat rate per word?

I've just purchased these tools and I'd like to get a sense of what prevailing practice is.

Thanks,

Bob

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Flatrate is better Jan 7, 2009

By all means avoid these "weighted rates", they cause a lot of trouble. For large projects it can be useful to charge 100% matches and repetitions by some scale, e.g. 30% of the normal word rate. That will keep the customer happy.
Regards
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It strongly depends on your customer relations Jan 7, 2009

so please make you completly free from the hype of rebates and so on and start thinking in different categories.
What decides, is your income at the end of the month - or to make the calculation easier your income per hour (resulting from your monthly income).
Now, when you know you need to earn xx EUR or US $ per hour to make a decent living, consider how many words you can translate per hour. So you will get your word price.
Now consider using of CAT-tools. They will make you work faster. So if you experience that you will need let's say only 40% of your translating time to review a finished translation, you may consider counting 100% matches and repetitions weigthed by 40%. Then you charge the customer not the nett word count, but a weighted word count, according to the time you assume you will need to provide the translation.

Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
don't ask/don't tell Jan 7, 2009

I usually charge a flat rate unless the agency specifically asks for a discount. In that case I charge repetitions and 100% matches at 25% of my full rate. I charge full rate for partial matches, except for one agency that I work for only very occasionally and who has their own rigid fee structure.

(I hope all my regular agencies aren't reading this and suddenly start asking me for a discount on all their projects!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing for documents using Trados or Wordfast

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs