Mobile menu

Posting Blue Board entries for direct clients...good idea or not?
Thread poster: Sara Senft

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2009

I'm considering making a Blue Board entry for a direct client I worked with back in September 2008. Would this be of any benefit?

She hasn't paid me for the work I did. In December, she said that I she would mail a check. Nothing.

I'm considering making an entry because it could serve as a warning.

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sounds like a good idea to me. Jan 12, 2009

It sounds like a good idea to me, but only to, as you say, serve as a warning to others. Who knows? This person may intend to scam other unwary freelancers.

Otherwise, I don't see much point in posting entries for direct clients. I also confess to ignorance as to what the Blue Board rules say or don't say about the issue.

Best of luck,

Bob

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:59
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
BB for Direct Clients Jan 12, 2009

Dear Sara,

First of all Happy New Year!

Yes, I think that it is a good idea to make a BB entry for anyone you have worked for and certainly for someone who has not paid you.

Good luck!
Lucinda

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:59
English to German
+ ...
It is NOT a good idea! Jan 12, 2009

If I were you I would not do it.
Think about the consequences it may have.
Additionally, there is no need to "warn" others.

My 20 cents,
Aniello

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:59
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Non-paying agency information in BB Jan 12, 2009

BB also contains "Non-paying agency information."
It is critical to screen out honest and dishonest non-payers as well.
BB is not absolutely sure for what you will get back for what you dis as services.
However, Internet based translators are very weak on after-job-completion negotiation and payment collection. BB can be very helpful.
[I also expect Proz.com can improve BB more widely and strongly as the mandatory tool for translators.]

Soonthon L.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:59
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
What consequences? Jan 12, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
If I were you I would not do it.

My reaction would depend in part on who the direct client is. If it's the copy shop down the road or some two-bit investigator who owes me USD 100 but won't require translation regularly, a BB post would probably be pointless, except for its embarrassment value (which might in fact encourage payment). If this is a company with a regular need for translations, then I see considerably more value in a BB post.

As for consequences, what do you mean? Losing the customer who doesn't pay is no tragedy. And where she lives, there is no problem stating that the end customer is a non-payer if there is no record of payment (a canceled check with her verifiable signature) which can be produced to refute that assertion.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, use the BB Jan 12, 2009

Aniello

I disagree with Aniello. Warning others is very important: posting a fact-based BB entry can help your colleagues take a more informed decision about working with this particular outsourcer (whether an agency or a direct client). It can thus help them avoid being taken unfair advantage of.
As for the consequences, I agree with Kevin.

Attila

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just one example Jan 12, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

As for consequences, what do you mean?

You are right, Kevin, it depends.

Let's assume the direct client is a DAX company (Blue Chip stock market index consisting of the 30 major German companies trading on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange).

I am not a lawyer, but publishing a negative comment on a company could result in trouble. In my opinion, it simply isn't worth it. Talking about several thousands of dollar/euros, things would look different, of course, but in such a case I would make use of a lawyer (as a last resort).

At least in Germany they say:
"Recht haben und Recht bekommen sind zwei Paar Schuhe."

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:59
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
The consequences of telling the truth Jan 12, 2009

Let's assume the direct client is a DAX company ... publishing a negative comment on a company could result in trouble.

There is no violation of confidentiality here, so no problem exists.

By your logic, Aniello, one should never post a negative comment about a German deadbeat. However, a simple statement of nonpayment status as of a particular date should not be an issue, nor should a numerical rating of one's willingness to work with the turkeys. "Die Gedanken sind frei" occasionally, and I think this is one of those occasions. I suppose I'll find out at some point; I've got a few small unpaid invoices from the world's second largest retailer based here in Germany, and I may post a report on the company just for laughs if the accounting department doesn't get its act together very soon.

However, she is in the US and is subject to US laws in any case. There, truth is considered an absolute defense in such cases. I would have no hesitation in taking on any major corporation and acting as my own attorney in such a case despite the bad reputation that US courts have. If the customer cannot produce a valid canceled check or show other traceable evidence of payment, they haven't got a chance in any sort of lawsuit. This presumes, of course, that she doesn't get too flowery in her denunciations, calling them lowdown, snake-kissing sleazebags or anything else considered beyond polite social norms.

Poisson rouge
Germany
German to French
+ ...
What is the purpose of the BB then? Jan 12, 2009

Erm... So what is the Blue Board designed for then? I really had the impression it was a place for freelancers to make remarks about experiences and clients to help other freelancers decide whether they want/should to work with those same clients...

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Stating your likelihood of working again Jan 12, 2009

Hi Aniello,
I strongly disagree with your general statement that posting an entry about a direct client is "not a good idea".

Let's assume the direct client is a DAX company (Blue Chip stock market index consisting of the 30 major German companies trading on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange).

I am not a lawyer, but publishing a negative comment on a company could result in trouble.

Depends on what you post. I don't see how expressing one's likelihood of working again for someone could lead to trouble. In some jurisdictions (e.g. in Italy), a comment (even if it is a statement of facts) could be problematic - if in doubt, post the entry without comment.

In my opinion, it simply isn't worth it. Talking about several thousands of dollar/euros, things would look different, of course, but in such a case I would make use of a lawyer (as a last resort).

In Germany, you could use the court reminder procedure (gerichtliches Mahnverfahren) - even cheaper.

I believe posting an entry is worthwhile, if only to warn others.

Best regards,
Ralf

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another problem Jan 13, 2009

She (the contact person) isn't a ProZ member and I don't have her physical address. That would really complicate making a Blue Board entry.

At this rate, there is probably little use to chasing payment. I am considering giving up on getting paid. If I do, I would lose a comparatively small amount of money--52 USD.

Unfortunately, that would probably through off my tax return.....

Eh, I can post in the Money Matters forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posting Blue Board entries for direct clients...good idea or not?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs