Does proz bring you direct clients?
Thread poster: Milos Prudek

Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:20
English to Czech
+ ...
Jan 13, 2009

I have been registered at proz.com for quite a few years and I have never seen a direct client job posting (in my pair). All job postings are agencies.

How many direct clients do you get via proz.com? In terms of absolute or relative numbers (percentages of invoiced value.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Direct clients don't post a lot of job because... Jan 13, 2009

Milos Prudek wrote:

I have been registered at proz.com for quite a few years and I have never seen a direct client job posting (in my pair). All job postings are agencies.

How many direct clients do you get via proz.com? In terms of absolute or relative numbers (percentages of invoiced value.

...they often contact translator directly, according to the field of expertise they require. I have been contacted several times by DC, and few of them confessed they chose me because of my kudoz-related rank in my specialization. My personal balance between agencies and direct clients is around 50/50, none of which obtained with bidding at jobs.

Best
G

[Edited at 2009-01-13 15:56 GMT]

Laurence Forain  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Some Jan 13, 2009

Dear Milos,

I have never worked with direct clients via ProZ but in a year of registration to the site, I have seen a couple jobs posted by direct clients in the EN > FR pair.

I am not sure ProZ to be the best place to meet direct clients as they generally barely know about this site. But my experience of this site is short (a year and a half), maybe older members will share theirs.

Have a nice afternoon,

Laurence

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Contact via profile instead of job posts Jan 13, 2009

Hi Milos,

As pointed out by previous posters already, a lot of site traffic is going on "behind the scenes", so to speak: (Potential) direct clients often contact members/users directly via their profiles. For example, one of my largest direct clients (in terms of turnover) had contacted me via my profile at the beginning of 2007, and has been sending work ever since on a regular basis, i.e. each month.

So don't get too focused on the job posting system alone - this is but one aspect of the site.

Best,
Steffen

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Same as Gianni Jan 13, 2009

Hi Milos,

My experience is much the same as Gianni's.

It stands to reason, really. If you needed a job done to a budget that was already fixed, which is generally the case with agencies, you would want to make your request visible to as many translators as possible. If you were looking for the best possible translation and wanted an idea of how much it would cost, you would probably do a directory search in the language combination and specialty, and contact promising-looking translators individually.

FWIW

Giles

Kerati Kuaimongkol  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:20
Partial member (2007)
English to Thai
Sometimes. Jan 13, 2009

Hi,

Mostly my job via proz is come from agencies, but some time the direct client is contact me directly as well.

The agencies is good for us as well in terms of the ongoing job.

In my opinion, don't think too much about what is the source of projects, if we still okay with the fees we got

Cheers,
Kerati

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope Jan 13, 2009

I've received a lot of work through proz.com but no direct clients.

My direct clients come through people I meet personally or through the someone-who-knows-someone route.

Elenka Ganeva  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:20
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Thank you, ProZ.com! Jan 13, 2009

... years and years and years... I was working (as a translator) for a local company (producing electronic systems) and translating for local translation agiencies at night... I was a registered ProZ.com member (not platinum) and only used it as a source of knowledge and a place to share mine.
A friend of mine (translattor, ProZ.com platinum member) convinced me to become a platinum member. That's when I HAD to leave the company I worked for, to register my firm and start working as a freelancer. I was contacted by agencies and by direct clients - sorry, I have never registered any percentage... but, what's the difference? I've increased my income almost thrice! Furthermore, while working for agencies (Blue Board assistance) I feel much more secure.
What I feel right now and need to say is:
Thank you, ProZ.com!

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:20
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 13, 2009

One doesn't see a lot of job postings from direct clients, though there are some, and I have picked up a few nice direct clients this way over the years. The real interface here to the direct clients, however, is through one's profile. I have been contacted by quite a number of direct clients who have found my profile (mostly via Google as far as I know - the rankings of ProZ pages there are rather good).

Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
None Jan 13, 2009

At least not yet.

Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 05:20
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Some-II Jan 13, 2009

I acquired several direct clients through Proz and one (but a very good one) through a similar site.

Once it was through a bid. It was not successful, actually, but later the owner of the company contacted me and offered a project, then another project... ~ 15 medium size projects in 8 months.

The rest found my profile and contacted me directly.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Several excellent direct clients - but no bids Jan 13, 2009

Over the past two years I have acquired several excellent direct clients through Proz. They contacted me directly after reading my profile page.

In this respect, Proz has been great value for money.

I do not participate in job postings because I would feel ashamed to discover that I was the lowest bidder for any given job.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jan 13, 2009

I have many direct clients contacting me through Proz. Many times, though, the deal doesn't go through for whatever reasons (sometimes my rates, etc.).

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:20
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Reliable marketplace, so far Jan 14, 2009

Many websites handle translation jobs.
With regard to reliability, resource, number of members, website quality etc., Proz.com is the best for me. I use it from year 1997.
My earlier clients via Proz.com were new agencies in business [and seeked new translators]. Now they are my old business partners.
New contacts via Proz.com are from better [improved] Proz website access. About 50/50 are successful business contacts in recent days.
I also observe the diving bidding rate in Proz.com [and other translation marketplace websites]. I expect resources, community and website access quality, not much new clients from Proz.com.

Soonthon L.

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
ProZ.com didn't exist in 1997 Jan 14, 2009

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

With regard to reliability, resource, number of members, website quality etc., Proz.com is the best for me. I use it from year 1997.

Soonthon L.

Quite strange, Soonthon, as ProZ.com didn't exist in 1997. The website went live in 1999.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does proz bring you direct clients?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs