Mobile menu

Charge wire transfer fee to translator because of the Bank of China
Thread poster: shstephaniepark

South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
Jan 14, 2009

A few weeks ago, I received an e-mail from a Chinese translating agency in mainland China saying I was assigned to do the work for them and I can start as soon as I pass a language test for sure. I said why not and did the test (350 words for free).

Today, after waiting almost one week, I received another e-mail saying I got the job and I may start ONLY when I approve their cooperation terms.

Among their terms, the first Article is written as:

1. For all bank wire transfer from XXX(company name) to translators, we need to charge local currency CNY200 (equal to about USD 27 as to 2007/10/09) to cover our increasing bank fee in Bank of China. For all money order from XXX to translators, we need to charge USD 10 to cover our increasing banking fee in Bank of China. For small payment, we can pay you by PayPal if our PayPal account has enough money.

Isn't it hilarious or crazy? I've never heard translator has to pay the bank wire fee for the company to receive the translation fee or to deduct the company's bank fee from it. (Of course, we all pay a certain commission fee when we receive money from abroad at bank.)

What is more annoying is: CNY 200 is USD 29.24 now. That means if I work for them, I translate around 300-400 words for free given my translation quote.

And, one more, do you read the last sentence? Is it Chinese humour?

How do I know they have enough money in their PayPal account?! How much money are they talking about here when they say "enough"?

Small money? How small should it be? USD 50? USD 100?

I just wonder who's ever accepted such cooperation terms. I don't think all mainland Chinese companies are like that. But if you have any bad experience related to Chinese company or any wisdoms to tell about the terms & conditions, please share with us. For example, do you accept payment in 60 days after delivery?

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
English to French
+ ...
I have clients in China and none of them ever asked for anything like this Jan 14, 2009

The only negativity I've seen so far with Chinese clients was that one of them notified translators that they will pay within 45 days from now on instead of 30 (because their clients have trouble paying on time with the current crisis).

Not only is the content of the agency's communication disrespectful, but even the wording is rude. They say they will charge you money to cover THEIR fees. How rude is that? How about a free lunch while we're at it? Or free translation?

I think this agency is rather undeserving of the services of true professionals. They should look for people who can English and want pocket money and people who think that translation is a get-rich-quick scheme. I, for one, wouldn't touch them with a 39.5-foot pole...

Niels Stephan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:31
Member (2009)
English to German
Even worse Jan 14, 2009

I just got an offer from a larger (I believe) American agency who propose to charge 55 Euro for a wire transfer. Of course you can use paypal (luckily they didn't mention if their paypal account is always well filled), but I thought about turning their offer down just for having the guts to suggest that.

Maybe you don't feel so alone now any more

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge wire transfer fee to translator because of the Bank of China

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs