Copyscape - Searching for copies of your stuff on the web
Thread poster: José Henrique Lamensdorf

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 25, 2009

I accidentally bumped into an interesting online service: Copyscape - http://www.copyscape.com

If you have content published online, it will do a Google search for copies of it on the web. For instance, if you wrote an article and included it in your web site, you may find who - if anyone - has copied it on their web site, and how many words of it were copied. Then you may take action, if any is warranted.

Some colleagues here say they have taken free translation tests, and suspect these may have been used for web publishing. Though I didn't try it, anyone in this situation might upload their test to some nook in their web site, enter the URL on Copyscape, and get a view of the actual site with the copied text color-highlighted, if it's anywhere to be found, including the copied-words count there.

They allow some 5 free trial searches per month, and thereon it costs US 5¢/search (Visa/MC are OK - but no PayPal). Some other more prophylactic services available there too.

Might be useful!

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:50
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Neat service Jan 25, 2009

You wouldn't happen to know if there is a feature on the site which allows offline content to be checked on the Web, would you? I was recently quite surprised to discover some of my writing which was never published on the Internet (it predates my first access to the Internet by a decade) on a web site which I had given no authorization to whatsoever. I suppose I could always put content on the web to check via URL, but with confidential correspondence I don't feel this is appropriate.

Added:
Fascinating. I put in the URL for my web site and came up with a link for a single sentence copied by a friend. Looks like the checking is pretty thorough, because she didn't even link my site.

[Edited at 2009-01-25 13:05 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kevin... Jan 25, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
You wouldn't happen to know if there is a feature on the site which allows offline content to be checked on the Web, would you? I was recently quite surprised to discover some of my writing which was never published on the Internet (it predates my first access to the Internet by a decade) on a web site which I had given no authorization to whatsoever. I suppose I could always put content on the web to check via URL, but with confidential correspondence I don't feel this is appropriate.

I guess what they do is something like uploading all the text on your site to the Google search field, maybe segment it in some way, and go after copies of it on the web. As my site on sworn translation lists a few Brazilian states in alphabetic order, some matches were similar lists of states that had nothing to do with mine.

Anyway, if your confidential text was published on that web site, it's not a secret any more. So you may upload it to a nook in your web site, Copyscape-check it, then overwrite it with garbage, leave that there for a day, and then delete it. If any robot got it automatically cached anywhere, it should be expected that the same would update it with that garbage. Not too safe, but feasible.

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:50
English to German
+ ...
Address of the company? Phone number(s)? Email address(es)? Jan 25, 2009

Copyscape is provided by Indigo Stream Technologies Ltd, a private company co-founded by Gideon Greenspan. For additional information on Copyscape, please see the Frequently Asked Questions.

The missing key data is very confidence-building, isn't it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyscape - Searching for copies of your stuff on the web

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs