Mobile menu

Contract agreement for direct client should I provide one?
Thread poster: Adriana Johnston
Adriana Johnston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2009

I am an individual that mostly works with interpretation agencies, and after we come up with an agreement on the rates, the agency sends me an indenpendent contractor agreement.
Well, I was recently contacted my this end client- a law firm, that wants me to take some interpretation assignments occassionally.

What I want to know is do I need to come up with the agreement I mean put my own terms and conditions and all, or does my client- the attorney need to take the initiative and provide me with an agreement for me to sign?
Is there like a "contract" format or sample I can go by being I am not a company but a freelancer?
Also if I Come up with my own wording for the agreement is it really going to be legal

I know it sound a little silly but I'm just not used to working directly with clients, and I want every thing to be clear before starting to take on projects.

[Edited at 2009-02-09 13:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-09 13:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Why not? Feb 13, 2009

It's a law company after all...

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:30
Member (2007)
+ ...
Can't give legal advice but ... Feb 13, 2009

adrijohns wrote:
Also if I Come up with my own wording for the agreement is it really going to be legal

I wrote a contract before giving English lessons to a direct client (I usually go through language schools). He took it to a lawyer, who said it was a perfectly good contract and advised him to sign it. As it happened, it all fizzled out, but I'm confident that the contract was OK, even though I don't know the first thing about legal terminology, and this was in French anyway.

Another bit of information I can give you is that I signed a contract from a big language school, without really reading it (will I ever learn?). When things went pear-shaped and they refused to pay my invoices, I took them to the Tribunal and won - the clause was deemed to be unfair.

There's a moral in there somewhere, and I think it may be that the law isn't quite such an ass after all.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:30
French to German
+ ...
You are the service provider! Feb 13, 2009

And therefore and AFAIK it is your minimal "duty" to write down a contract for your direct clients.

The same would normally apply to agencies... but in this case and for no justifiable reason, you have to sign their paper. Not the right way to do!

And if you have concerns about the legality of your clauses, you can also adapt ready-made contracts and review them together with your client.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-02-13 19:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contract agreement for direct client should I provide one?

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs