https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/127192-who_is_to_initiate_an_agreement_contract_the_client_or_the_interpreter.html

Who is to initiate an agreement contract, the client or the interpreter?
Thread poster: Adriana Johnston
Adriana Johnston
Adriana Johnston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

I am a freelance interpreter and mostly work with interpretation agencies, and after we come up with an agreement on the rates, the agency sends me an indenpendent contractor agreement.
Well, I was recently contacted my this end client- a law firm, that wants me to take some interpretation assignments occassionally.

What I want to know is do I need to come up with the agreement I mean put my own terms and conditions and all, or does my client- the attorney need to take the
... See more
I am a freelance interpreter and mostly work with interpretation agencies, and after we come up with an agreement on the rates, the agency sends me an indenpendent contractor agreement.
Well, I was recently contacted my this end client- a law firm, that wants me to take some interpretation assignments occassionally.

What I want to know is do I need to come up with the agreement I mean put my own terms and conditions and all, or does my client- the attorney need to take the initiative and provide me with an agreement for me to sign?
Is there like a "contract" format or sample I can go by being I am not a company but a freelancer?
Also if I Come up with my own wording for the agreement is it really going to be legal

I know it sound a little silly but I'm just not used to working directly with clients, and I want every thing to be clear before starting to take on projects.
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:01
English to French
+ ...
Terms & conditions - from the translator's side Feb 10, 2009

As a professional you should have your own Terms & Conditions that you provide to every client - stating description of services, general liability, terms of paiement, cancelation policy, etc.

You should also prepare a quote/an agreement for each assignment and ask your client to sign it before you start the work- or a PO.

It is always better to have the client signing your own T&C , designed from your point of view.

If you are not well aware of legal ja
... See more
As a professional you should have your own Terms & Conditions that you provide to every client - stating description of services, general liability, terms of paiement, cancelation policy, etc.

You should also prepare a quote/an agreement for each assignment and ask your client to sign it before you start the work- or a PO.

It is always better to have the client signing your own T&C , designed from your point of view.

If you are not well aware of legal jargon it is better to take advice from a legal advisor ; if you are a member of a translators association they usually offer legal advice on these matters. They might also have some example of Terms & condition for you to taylor to your own needs.

[Edited at 2009-02-10 08:59 GMT]
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:01
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
This may be applicable... Feb 10, 2009

A few years ago I wrote a short article about entering into contracts; it doesn't go into much detail, and it primarily targets translators, but it may interest you nonetheless:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/554/1/Contracts-I:-Would-you-sign-this?

See more
A few years ago I wrote a short article about entering into contracts; it doesn't go into much detail, and it primarily targets translators, but it may interest you nonetheless:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/554/1/Contracts-I:-Would-you-sign-this?

Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:01
German to English
+ ...
Excellent Feb 10, 2009

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:
A few years ago I wrote a short article about entering into contracts....

Thank you for that link, Derek. I hadn't seen it before. That's a superb article.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 01:01
English to Russian
+ ...
My own experience with direct clients Feb 11, 2009

I have a few direct clients, some of them attorneys. I never asked for a contract, and so far, I received all my payments on time.

Is it risky not to have a contract? Maybe, but I'm more concerned of a risk of turning a potential client off by requesting a contract.

Feel free to disagree...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is to initiate an agreement contract, the client or the interpreter?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »