https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/12738-agency_wants_me_to_pay_fee_plus_percentage_to_be_in_their_database.html

agency wants me to pay fee plus percentage to be in their database
Thread poster: Silvia Gómez (X)
Silvia Gómez (X)
Silvia Gómez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2003

hi all!

I have a question about agency payments. I get a contract from an agency and in the conditions terms appears that, if I want to be included in their database, I've to pay 20 € yearly. Further I've to pay for each proyect I get from them 7% of the profit + 16 % tax. Are these terms usual? I don't think so, but I'd like to hear your opinions.
Thanks!

Silvia

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
my two cents (+IVA) Jul 18, 2003

Hola Silvia,

I gave you an answer to your posting in the Spanish forum, so I will just translate it here.

Paying to work for an agency? Will they be handling YOUR marketing and fight tooth and nail to find YOU work? Will the end client know YOU were the expert translator behind this assignment? Will YOU be getting all the credit and recognition?

Pay commission to an agency...What are we, "top model" of the year?

I am sad to see more and more
... See more
Hola Silvia,

I gave you an answer to your posting in the Spanish forum, so I will just translate it here.

Paying to work for an agency? Will they be handling YOUR marketing and fight tooth and nail to find YOU work? Will the end client know YOU were the expert translator behind this assignment? Will YOU be getting all the credit and recognition?

Pay commission to an agency...What are we, "top model" of the year?

I am sad to see more and more conditions of this type being swung around, but definitely it is not the normal way of operating for a serious agency.

And if you're not convinced, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I sell to you cheap, mira mami!

Careful out there,

Susana
Collapse

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Latvian to English
+ ...
not usual practice! Jul 18, 2003

Obviously it all comes down to personal choice, how and where we spend our money, but, personally, I would avoid these outfits like the plague. There are plenty of online directories, which will cost you nothing and ultimately, even if you pay an annual fee, what is the guarantee that you will get work through them? At the same time, whilst the Proz.com annual fee is higher, you have the option of being a 'guest member' at no cost to yourself. Furthermore, proz.com is not solely an online dir... See more
Obviously it all comes down to personal choice, how and where we spend our money, but, personally, I would avoid these outfits like the plague. There are plenty of online directories, which will cost you nothing and ultimately, even if you pay an annual fee, what is the guarantee that you will get work through them? At the same time, whilst the Proz.com annual fee is higher, you have the option of being a 'guest member' at no cost to yourself. Furthermore, proz.com is not solely an online directory, but a valuable source and exchange of information between linguists.Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's not an agency Jul 18, 2003

That's a database that's being sold both ways. (No-lose proposition -- for the owners.)

I can only speak for ProZ: such an offer is not considered a job, since it implies that your money's going in the other direction. But it's your choice.

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stay away! Jul 18, 2003

This is not the first time something like this comes up. The core business here is not providing translations, but rather making money from translators. If they have the amount of work they claim, they would either charge the person requiring the translation, or charge you a percentage of the total bill.
There is no justification for a flat fee plus a percentage.

I suggest staying away from these leeches.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
German to English
This smells funny Jul 18, 2003

There are *lots* of agencies for most language combinations, so you don't need to use these people. Working through an agency already cuts our profit, and we don't need to look for additional ways to decrease it.
Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agency wants me to pay fee plus percentage to be in their database

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »