Thread poster: Alicja Weikop

Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:17
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 13, 2009

Has anyone heard of the Information Commisioner's Office? http://www.ico.gov.uk/

This is in the UK - to do with Data Protection Act. Apparently everyone handling other people's data should register with them to be a "data controller".

An interpreting agency has asked to see my registration certificate before they would work with me.

Has anyone had a similar situation? Is this really necessary? Registration costs 35GBP per year.

Any comments or ideas welcome!

Alicja

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-13 10:08 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:17
French to German
+ ...
I work for UK clients without ICO registration Feb 13, 2009

What I had to sign before working with one of these clients was a CA/NDA. Or does this ICO stuff only apply to UK residents?

HTH

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-02-13 10:16 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
As always, the answer is depends Feb 13, 2009

I recently had to take a short online course/test about data protection for my in-house job. Everyone in the company dealing with client data had to take the test and I'm in-charge of all our multilingual emailings (and have access to client databases).

So let's see if I can remember correctly.

Each company/organisation handling protected data has to designate one person as data controller (in our case the head of compliance). But I just checked ioc's database and there's no mention of this person, only company info.

I have access to a lot of very personal information, but do not personally have to be registered. The test was enough, but that seems to be a recent development as I've been handling this data for some time.

Whether or not you, as a freelancer, have to register a data controller probably depends on how ico view you. As a freelancer/sole trader, do they consider you a company? Also if having access to only one person's data at a time, rather than a database, is covered.

Best things is to call ico on Monday.

Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 14, 2009

Thank you Madeleine - that's very helpful.

I am just wondering if the agency should demand that I become a data controller before I can undertake interpreting work. What if ICO say - I don't need to?
I will call ICO to find out more.

Any more similar experiences out there?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Information Commissioner's Office?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs