JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:28
French to English
+ ...
Feb 16, 2009

Hi,
Would like a bit of advice pls.
I'm working with a new-ish client and they have sent me some work in Trados with a word count analysis they have done. I have run my own analysis and get massively different numbers. So different that they think they should pay me about 1/3 of what I think to be correct (mainly because 100% matches are not paid and I get a much lower no. of 100% matches). I'm really worried - what if my contact says they stand by their word count?
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Jo

[Edited at 2009-02-16 14:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados versions and settings conflict Feb 16, 2009

Check settings and versions at yours and your customer computers.
Penalties and so on...

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Stick to your word count or decline Feb 16, 2009

In a nutshell, here's what I would do:

1) Ask them to resend the(ir) TM (if any) and run a new analysis.

2) Send them your log.

3) If they then still don't agree to your count, simply decline the job.

Good luck!

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Different settings in Penalties Feb 16, 2009

Perhaps they did the analysis with modified Penalties, while you used the default setting in Trados? If you have not started the work yet, bring this up with the client, ask what settings they used (ask for a screenshot) and check whether that is acceptable.

Also, IMHO, not getting paid at all for 100% matches is unacceptable.
Unless they tag the 100% segments non-translatable (which they probably did not, as those would not show up in the analysis at all), or exclude them from the source some other way, you still have to handle the segments, and proofread them.

Just my 2 cents
Katalin

JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
using translate to fuzzy Feb 16, 2009

Katalin,
I'm working in Tag Editor and, at the client's request, I'm using 'translate to fuzzy' to skip the 100% matches. I said I wasn't convinced as I know for a fact the TM contains some 'issues' from a previous translator. Also Tag Editor seems to let some formatting issues slip through as 100% matches, but the client was adamant.
Cheers for your input.
Jo

[Edited at 2009-02-16 15:01 GMT]

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Discussed a few weeks ago Feb 16, 2009

The subject of differing word counts was discussed here in detail a few weeks ago. Whatever method is used to count the words, the vital thing is to agree to a word count before you accept the job. If you can't agree, decline the job - well, that's my unhumble opinion.
Best wishes,
Jenny

JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks all Feb 16, 2009

thanks for your advice, I'm awaiting a response from the client and have fingers crossed

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Oh dear … Feb 16, 2009

JLLTranslation wrote:
I know for a fact the TM contains some 'issues' from a previous translator. … but the client was adamant.

That's a huge red flag.

You can't demonstrate quality in a setting where translations are shredded into little five-word bits and then treated as a freely convertible mintage in complete disregard of context. I personally had never believed how utterly mucked up a translation memory could be where 100% matches must never ever be touched even when wrong - until I had the honour of sampling several examples and their corresponding automatic translation results.

Since I'm into producing quality translations, I routinely refuse jobs that are based on a skewed translation world-view.

Peter

[Edited at 2009-02-16 20:35 GMT]

JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very interesting point Peter Feb 16, 2009

That is a very interesting point with which the translator in me agrees 100% (pun intended!). However the business woman in me (who has worked for a multi-national localisation company in the past) knows that ultimately clients say they won't pay for 100% matches and repetitions therefore the translator has to abide by that wish. Yes it might mean the translation contains some formatting errors or the like but, if a big company (the end client on this project is a huge household name) chooses to economise in that way, who am I to question? Isn't this just the way of commercial translation?
BTW I'm not in a position to routinely turn down work with a 2 yr old, one on the way (so I won't work for 6 months) and rising bills....
Interesting conversation. Thanks, Peter

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
I agree Feb 16, 2009

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

In a nutshell, here's what I would do:

1) Ask them to resend the(ir) TM (if any) and run a new analysis.

2) Send them your log.

3) If they then still don't agree to your count, simply decline the job.

Good luck!

I think like Evert ! Just explain your word count and if they don't agree decline it. Some clients like to pressure the translator to get a lower rate or just play on the quality and extra costs to get a discount, we all know those methods !

Your client may be sincere so just explain politely the situation and that you'd stick to your word count...

Cheers !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

big difference in client vs. my word count analysis

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs