Mobile menu

Abandoned (?) discount request
Thread poster: jgaligs
Local time: 13:31
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2009

I recently had a complaint from a client about the quality of my translation. They pointed out two errors (one legitimate, and the other, I consider pickiness for in-house terms / stylistic preference) and told the agency we work with that they didn't want to pay full price because of the translation's shortcomings... The agency told me that the file would be received that day or the next, I assumed, for me to edit. I then replied, asking if there were any other specific errors/suggestions, and offered to fix them, resend the file, and consider a discount.

The agency then told me that the client's lawyer would "send it", which I assumed meant the list of errors/suggestions to me... but that was the last I heard of it, so I'm now assuming they meant "send the original translation to the client" ?

So.. where does leave me in terms of the invoice? Should I still offer a discount, or is the fact that I never heard back from them suggest that their claim was unfounded (at least not enough for a discount)? And what if I don't trust the agency enough to ask them?

I'm fairly new to all of this, so I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions. Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Chase the matter Feb 26, 2009

Ask your customer again about the matter (don't talk to the end customer directly unless expressly authorised to do so). They might have forgotten, but since the conversation was started at some stage, it's better if you do your best to clarify the matter and reach a final agreement before issuing your invoice.

By getting in touch proactively, you show them that this is important to you and that you want to cooperate in finding a suitable accommodation.

marca  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:31
French to English
+ ...
Definitely worth checking back in Feb 26, 2009

I agree with Tomás that it's to your benefit to raise the point. I used to work in an agency; it's generally a pretty hectic environment and they'll most likely appreciate it if you follow up. I think a simple "Where do we stand with this?" email is appropriate. Based on their response, you could decide what to do about the invoice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abandoned (?) discount request

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs