Copyright Infringement - Experts Help Required
Thread poster: Ivan Vandermerwe
Ivan Vandermerwe
Ivan Vandermerwe
Local time: 01:47
English to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 28, 2009

This is more directed at agencies and companies. I hope that I will get some responses that will provide direction on a possible recourse to a situation that is quite vexing.

We have recently identified a company in China that has not only lifted our copyright material and is illegally accessing our programming code, they are "riding our coat tails" in search engine positioning. That is, they are using our metatags lock-stock-and-barrel to boost their search engine rankings: we have
... See more
This is more directed at agencies and companies. I hope that I will get some responses that will provide direction on a possible recourse to a situation that is quite vexing.

We have recently identified a company in China that has not only lifted our copyright material and is illegally accessing our programming code, they are "riding our coat tails" in search engine positioning. That is, they are using our metatags lock-stock-and-barrel to boost their search engine rankings: we have noticed a marked drop in web traffic as a result. (See http://www.saeculii.com/eng/services/ip-infringement.cfm for technical explanation).

We have contacted major search engines and international cybercrime organizations (CYCO) to alert them to the issue. The fraud continues unabated. A Chinese law firm has advised us that legal action is probably not the best solution here since "trans-national copyright infringement" cases are difficult to prosecute in China.

I hope that somebody can suggest an effective solution; however, having pretty much looked at everything, I would be happy to simply alert people to yet another internet SCAM.

Much appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
English to French
Contact directly the top search engines Feb 28, 2009

Hi Ivan,

My advice would be to urgently contact the top search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.) abuse service. Once you haven proven your copyright on the abused material, they will be on their blacklist, and that alone is enough to defeat the first thing they were aiming at by pillaging your work: get a better placement on search results.

After that, if you have enough patience and adequate funding (and if they have any kind of money worth making a suit for…), you may p
... See more
Hi Ivan,

My advice would be to urgently contact the top search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.) abuse service. Once you haven proven your copyright on the abused material, they will be on their blacklist, and that alone is enough to defeat the first thing they were aiming at by pillaging your work: get a better placement on search results.

After that, if you have enough patience and adequate funding (and if they have any kind of money worth making a suit for…), you may pursue your legal actions. But at least the immediate damage will be contained.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:47
English to French
+ ...
As Denis says Mar 2, 2009

All major search engines should take care of this.

On the longer term, I guess you can sue in Japan, for an infringement by a Chinese company, damaging a Japanese company's interests.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyright Infringement - Experts Help Required

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »