Mobile menu

Worldwide Agency
Thread poster: David Young
David Young  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:56
Danish to English
Mar 1, 2009

Anyone else had an email from these people with an invitation to join their "Free International Website created by professional translators..." etc etc"?
I decided not to click on the link and deleted the email - looked too dangerous - but I'm curious about how widespread this is. Could it be that someone has managed to monitor my internet preferences (i.e. this website) and fashioned a scam email tailor-made to my interests?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:56
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
Worldwide Agency Mar 1, 2009

Hi David,

Yes, this morning I found the same mail! I, as yourself, decided not to click on the link in the mail, however I went on Google and found their site. It seems to be an Italian agency. I browsed around a little, but for the most, you have to be registered to view the various pages. I did not find anything suspicious from the quick look, seems to be just another translator site?!!

Lise

Shane Wall  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 12:56
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Nothing here in Vietnam Mar 1, 2009

I did not receive anything suspicious and I put my website and email address "out there" all over the internet.

When I get suspect emails, I delete them immediately. I would rather lose a potential client than infect the ones I have!!!

Shane

www.translingualexpress.com
Công ty Dịch thuật ngôn ngữ tiếng Anh - Việt

David Young  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Email address Mar 1, 2009

I clearly wasn't very awake this morning when I posted - if I had been I would have realised that they could easily have got my email address from my website. Doh! Here I was worrying about trojans and such like monitoring my every key stroke!
Anyway - thanks for your answers. I don't want to register on another website - I get too little work done as it is

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
English to German
+ ...
I just received this little thingy Mar 1, 2009

One of those online vending machines for translation, very annoying.

The best part: You will receive jobs at no charge!!

Block sender. Delete.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
Swedish to English
+ ...
Surprising Mar 1, 2009

Shane Wall wrote:

I did not receive anything suspicious and I put my website and email address "out there" all over the internet.

Considering you are so generous with putting your website out there all over the internet...

Sharon Sarah Schmitz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
At no charge? Mar 2, 2009

As far as I understand the scheme, only the first 100 job offers come for free. If you want to receive more job offers - or "job posters' contacts", as they put it - you'll have to subscribe to their site at a yearly cost of 10 US$.

The e-mail doesn't even say whether these "contacts" will be in the translator's language pairs.

So, IMO, and IMO only, they actually want you to pay for receiving classifieds. Of course, the vendor in question may feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worldwide Agency

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs