Thread poster: J Chae (X)
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
French to English
Absolutely agree Mar 4, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

But we are obviously very different people. If I had suffered the misfortune of having a contract terminated because of my attitude, I doubt I would publicise the matter on the internet.

[Edited at 2009-03-04 19:46 GMT]

IMO, this point is one of those which lead J Chae to open this thread as it is under question. And being "dismissed" by an agency after two years looks a bit too bad to be taken for face value.

Certainly on the face of it, being perceived as difficult to deal with sounds like dubious grounds for termination.
It appears uncertain whether quality of work is at issue or not, since some of the client's emails seem to say one thing, and others another thing.
And to talk of "dismissal" would seem the wrong choice of word (but who knows the mother-tongue of the author).
So far, so good.

If the query is "My contract is terminated altho I have committed no breach - what can I do", fine (seek legal advice from someone who can see the contract - we can't).

That J Chae enjoys vigorous debate has been demonstrated clearly here. The question is - is that itself grounds for termination - I think not.
My point really is that I would not advertise this particular accusation and then demonstrate the extent to which it is justified in a public place. That's all.

J Chae (X)
J Chae (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:52
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not at all Mar 4, 2009

That J Chae enjoys vigorous debate has been demonstrated clearly here.

No, I don't, Charlie.
My point really is that I would not advertise this particular accusation and then demons... See more
That J Chae enjoys vigorous debate has been demonstrated clearly here.

No, I don't, Charlie.
My point really is that I would not advertise this particular accusation and then demonstrate the extent to which it is justified in a public place.

Exactly so. Rather, I felt I should share my experience with ProZ translators (and agencies, too) and give at least something to each of us to calibrate our status quo. Now, how you would look at it would entirely depend on your perspective.

[Edited at 2009-03-05 03:18 GMT]
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Their mis-use of the term "dismissed" reflects poorly on their English skills... Mar 5, 2009

How ironic that they say that they criticize your supposed poor English when they don't even understand the real meaning of "dismissed".

Based on your posts here, btw, I would just guess that their assessment of your English is totally unfounded. Besides the fact that again, their mis-use of the term "dismissed" reflects poorly on THEIR English skills, so who are they to evaluate you?

And you should ALWAYS defend work of yours if it is quality. You ALWAYS have the rig
... See more
How ironic that they say that they criticize your supposed poor English when they don't even understand the real meaning of "dismissed".

Based on your posts here, btw, I would just guess that their assessment of your English is totally unfounded. Besides the fact that again, their mis-use of the term "dismissed" reflects poorly on THEIR English skills, so who are they to evaluate you?

And you should ALWAYS defend work of yours if it is quality. You ALWAYS have the right to reject their feedback. That is ridiculous for them to believe that you don't have that right.

While you are obviously better off without them, you have done the right thing in responding to them about this.

Oh and btw, your posts here do not depict you as being "difficult" or having an "attitude", IMO. Maybe they should look up the definitions of those words, too? LOL.;)

JMO.
Collapse

J Chae (X)
J Chae (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe both Mar 6, 2009

Cbolton wrote:
First they tell you that "your English comprehension and knowledge of your native language were not up to standard" but then in that laughable "dismissal" they say "This is **not** due to the quality of your proof, but rather to the manner in which you responded to the feedback."

So which one is it?... See more
Cbolton wrote:
First they tell you that "your English comprehension and knowledge of your native language were not up to standard" but then in that laughable "dismissal" they say "This is **not** due to the quality of your proof, but rather to the manner in which you responded to the feedback."

So which one is it?

Maybe both. Good riddance indeed. They had this plain, flashing "you're incapable and hopeless, so behave and I will save you" spirit, that's a despicable practice to ensure control and dominance over someone.

Gad wrote:
You should ALWAYS defend work of yours if it is quality. You ALWAYS have the right to reject their feedback. That is ridiculous for them to believe that you don't have that right.

Thanks for sharing. At least I'm not alone to think that way.

And oh, I think they knew very well what words they chose, Gad. Using words in such expressive manner obviously needs a little bit more than simple ignorance.

[Edited at 2009-03-06 00:48 GMT]
Collapse

LucyPatterso (X)
LucyPatterso (X)
English
Just move onwards and upwards Mar 10, 2009

Dear J.,

Having read through the thread I have to agree that this agency ... or the PM representing the agency ... was being unfair, acting on impulse and not very professional.

I have only ever had the "pleasure" of working with one such PM in the past - eventually, after months of problems and contraditions from her, I decided enough was enough and simply stopped accepting work from that particular agency.

I think the best way to handle these situations
... See more
Dear J.,

Having read through the thread I have to agree that this agency ... or the PM representing the agency ... was being unfair, acting on impulse and not very professional.

I have only ever had the "pleasure" of working with one such PM in the past - eventually, after months of problems and contraditions from her, I decided enough was enough and simply stopped accepting work from that particular agency.

I think the best way to handle these situations is to rise above it and move on rather than send angry emails.

Of course, if you have been accused of getting something wrong, send a calm and reasoned email explaining why you think you were right in the first place - but leave it at that.

They were paying you for your opinion on lingustic matters - surely that's what proofreading is all about. You therefore have a right to justify and stick to your own professional opinion (surely it is more worrying if you are so unsure you will immediately apologise when criticised??). If they do not respect your opinion, they should not be paying you to give it.

But "dismissing" you was childish. Someone is probabaly stressed and worried about losing their job ... unfortunately they took it out on you. Not worth you getting upset about in the long run.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being "dismissed" from an agency

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »