Thread poster: ~Ania~

~Ania~  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
Polish to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2009

Dear All,

I wondered what you use (if anything) for receiving email on the go i.e. when you are out and about and not sitting at your usual PC. My current mobile phone is not email enabled and in any case, I think the screen would be far too small in order to read/reply to email comfortably. I am looking into the possibility of getting a Blackberry or similar. Do any of you have any experience of a blackberry and what is the most cost-effective way of being able to recieve and reply to email on the go. Am I better off just getting a more technologically-advanced (i.e. internet) phone or are there other options? I keep meaning to pop into a mobile phone shop and pick their brains but a) I never seem to get the time and b) I prefer an unbiased opinion.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:03
English to German
+ ...
Blackberry Mar 8, 2009

Hard to beat, IMO.

Cheers, Ralf

Sandra Peters-Schöbel
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Smartphone? Mar 8, 2009

Hi Anna,
I had to find a solution for myself some time ago. And I chose a Smartphone, the Nokia E61. It has the advantage that you are able to edit attachments of Emails directly, that means Excel or Word files.
That was important to me. If I am receiving a potential order I want to be able to have a look at the file to see the style of the text.
battery performance is very good. It really is a mobile office and not an all in one device, which means it has no camera or MP3-Player.

Installing of email clients is easy. I am client with Eplus and chose a flatrate for email and internet. By using the Eplus website you receive all settings via SMS to your phone directly, so this is easy to do.

What I honestly am never using is the internet option. I really appreciate it to quickly check if I got any new emails and reply at once, but wouldn't search the www on the go...

I hope it helps

kind regards
Sandra

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

My choice was Mar 8, 2009

Samsung i900 aka Omnia, and I have never regretted so far.

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blackberry Mar 8, 2009

I also recommend Blackberry - I have a Blackberry Pearl.

This has been discussed a few times before, see:

http://alb.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/107935-any_downsides_to_blackberries.html

and

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113041-blackberry_pocket_pc_or_mobile_pc.html

And there has been a poll on the topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/97394-poll:_do_you_have_a_blackberry.html

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:03
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Smartphone x2 Mar 8, 2009

Sandra Peters-Schoebel wrote:

Hi Anna,
I had to find a solution for myself some time ago. And I chose a Smartphone, the Nokia E61. It has the advantage that you are able to edit attachments of Emails directly, that means Excel or Word files.
That was important to me. If I am receiving a potential order I want to be able to have a look at the file to see the style of the text.
battery performance is very good. It really is a mobile office and not an all in one device, which means it has no camera or MP3-Player.

Installing of email clients is easy. I am client with Eplus and chose a flatrate for email and internet. By using the Eplus website you receive all settings via SMS to your phone directly, so this is easy to do.

What I honestly am never using is the internet option. I really appreciate it to quickly check if I got any new emails and reply at once, but wouldn't search the www on the go...

I hope it helps

kind regards
Sandra

I also have a smartphone and I'm very happy with my choice. Mine is an HTC Tilt, which has a full keyboard and a screen that tilts, hence the name. Since it's a Windows Mobile phone, you can set up how often do you want to check your emails and even what part of it you want to download; you can download just the titles and if it's an important email, you can go ahead and download the rest of the body. That's useful if you don't want to get a contract for a data plan. And like Sandra said, with a smartphone, you can also view and edit Office and pdf documents.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
blackberry vs smartphone Mar 8, 2009

First of all, don't you need a dedicated mail server for the famous blackberry push email to work? Which means you either belong to a corporation with its own IT infrastructure or you have to pay a monthly fee for push. Or do I have that wrong?

Anyway, I myself am in the generic smartphone camp, I have an Xperia X1. Outrageously expensive and definitely massive overkill for most people... I love it.
With a gorgeous screen and a very decent browser, browsing the internet is very doable. It is a Windows Mobile phone, so it can read and edit all MS Office files as well.

The Xperia, like pretty much every smarphone, has an email client and can retrieve mail automatically. I have it set to check once every hour. Emails basically arrive like SMS messages, except not immediately.

Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
iPhone Mar 8, 2009

I have an iPhone, and it's brilliant. It gives you access to your email and to the Internet, and you can view the attachments . I have also found it convenient to have different language keyboards. I can easily type emails in Russian as well as in English.

And it is great fun too!

[Edited at 2009-03-08 21:33 GMT]

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
a little off topic, but I'd like to vent ... Mar 8, 2009

I know this isn't exactly on-topic here, but this past week, I had a very frustrating time communicating with a writer/consultant hired by someone who had hired me to translate his report.

Naively, I assumed that when I e-mailed him, he would get the message at his PC and be able to look at the documents in question. Instead, he was apparently getting everything on his Blackberry.

I wrote lengthy, detailed e-mails, and his responses were, well, half-answers at best. I kept writing back, saying, "Please answer my questions..."

I didn't realize until things had spun out of control that he wasn't where he could access the document.

So, I would like to caution everyone to consider waiting to respond fully to an e-mail until you are in a place where you can read the full message that's been sent to you (if he'd just dropped me a note, "Hi, I'm not in the office now, but will get back to you later" would have saved us both a lot of embarrassment!).

There's a lot to be said for staying connected 7/24, but we have to balance that with maintaining efficiency and clarity, too...

Thanks for listening!

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The BlackBerry notifies you Mar 9, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Naively, I assumed that when I e-mailed him, he would get the message at his PC and be able to look at the documents in question. Instead, he was apparently getting everything on his Blackberry.

When I get messages via BlackBerry, it always says "Sent from my [name of carrier] BlackBerry." The ones you got didn't say that?

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
Nokia E61 Mar 9, 2009

Hi! E71 imitates blackberry looks and it is equally compatible and economical. BR Brandis

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
BlackBerry Mar 9, 2009

No doubt about it, yet.
It does everything you mentioned, and more.

Good luck,

Evert

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Notebook Mar 9, 2009

~Ania~ wrote:

Dear All,

I wondered what you use (if anything) for receiving email on the go i.e. when you are out and about and not sitting at your usual PC. My current mobile phone is not email enabled and in any case, I think the screen would be far too small in order to read/reply to email comfortably. I am looking into the possibility of getting a Blackberry or similar. Do any of you have any experience of a blackberry and what is the most cost-effective way of being able to recieve and reply to email on the go. Am I better off just getting a more technologically-advanced (i.e. internet) phone or are there other options? I keep meaning to pop into a mobile phone shop and pick their brains but a) I never seem to get the time and b) I prefer an unbiased opinion.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Anna

I would advise you to buy a notebook (something like the Aspire one of Acer) it's small and is a completly functional PC and with a USB ADSL key it's the best to be independant and to work wherever you go. Saved my life on my last assignment even though the screen is small it's better than a phone and lighter than a usual laptop...

Cheers !

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email on the go

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs