Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:45
English to French
+ ...
Mar 28, 2009

On this forum, there have been discussions of professional insurance and real-life stories of translators being responsible for messages lost in translation resulting in serious consequences.

I am wondering if you can tell us about stories of such disastrous consequences. I am not necessarily looking for stories of translators being sued for the consequences of mistranslation and stories where the disastrous consequences went as far as causing death. I am interested in stories in ge
... See more
On this forum, there have been discussions of professional insurance and real-life stories of translators being responsible for messages lost in translation resulting in serious consequences.

I am wondering if you can tell us about stories of such disastrous consequences. I am not necessarily looking for stories of translators being sued for the consequences of mistranslation and stories where the disastrous consequences went as far as causing death. I am interested in stories in general where a mistranslation has caused misunderstandings between governments, delays in trials, people taking unnecessary risks, etc.

If a friend of a friend of yours has been through this kind of trouble, let's read about it! Bonus points if you can post links to newspaper stories and such. A typical example would be http://english.siamdailynews.com/asia-news/eastern-asia-news/taiwan-news/brochures-mistranslation-raises-ire-of-aborigines.html

I am not sure if this is the proper forum to post this, so please feel free to move this if need be.

Thanks!
Collapse

Alfredo Fernández Martínez
Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mistranslation in Japanese surrender in WWII Mar 28, 2009

See more
http://books.google.es/books?id=JTvdhvkVAB0C&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=world%20war%20II%20japan%20mistranslation&source=bl&ots=ZMz_J0dJzQ&sig=QmH_C9r1RFgofcz2IlWhZbUff4o&hl=es&ei=BevNSanfL5KosAbSncTvDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA120,M1

Or, at least, this is what they lead us to believe.

Alfredo
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mistranslations leading to disasters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »