Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Asking for clients’ feedback: how did you feel when you asked for a “willingness to work again”?
Thread poster: xxxwonita
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 19:02
Apr 7, 2009

I ‘ve been on Proz.com for a while. Time and again I am thinking of asking for clients’ feedbacks (willingness to work again or just a positive feedback for a project), to make my profile more appealing for potential clients.

But it has never been easy for me to ask other people for a favor. I feel I have to “beg” . My clients are not active Proz.com users, somehow I would give them some extra work if I ask.

Whatever, how did you feel when you asked for a “Willingness to work again”?

Thank you for your answer.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-08 13:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:02
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I know how you feel Apr 7, 2009

Hi Bin,

I do not like asking people for favours much, either. However, it is not so hard to request WWA entries. Have you tried it? A standard text to send appears in the box, and it is best just to send that. Then all you have to do is select the outsourcer(s) for whom you have worked.

If they ignore your request, you do not lose anything. However, if you ask about six of them (the message can be sent to various outsourcers at the same time), you are almost bound to get one WWA entry out of it.

It is best only to ask agencies for whom you have recently worked. Those who have had a translation from you very recently are much more likely to respond.

Give it a go - and good luck!

Astrid

P.S. You get a very nice e-mail when somebody gives you a WWA entry, congratulating you!

[Edited at 2009-04-07 19:25 GMT]

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:02
Member (2002)
English to German
You are right Apr 7, 2009

You are right, Bin.

I usually don't ask my clients to provide feedback.

If I know that they use ProZ already, I might ask, but even then I feel that they pay me to do their work so it shouldn't go the other way round.

That's why there are hardly any entries in my profile...

Best regards

Andy

www.interlations.com

ozan karakış
Turkey
Local time: 01:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
Simple it was for me Apr 7, 2009

"Would you please provide your input to my profile at proz.com?" was the question I used for three times and never had one added. Reason? They all said they did not want their relations (with freelancer) become public. Did I understand what they really meant? NO. I stopped asking.

Be happy.

Ozan

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
My face, Apr 7, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

If they ignore your request, you do not lose anything.

Astrid

and my pride I will lose.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Well, there is not a 100% response rate Apr 7, 2009

However, do not take that personally, Bin! Some people may plan to respond and be very busy, and then forget later.

Just try it out! I promise you that you will soon have your first one!

Astrid

Zamira*****  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:02
Member (2006)
English to Uzbek
+ ...
- Apr 7, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

If they ignore your request, you do not lose anything.

Astrid

and my pride I will lose.

Bin, you can start from your more or less regular clients. I feel it is better to email them first asking for a feedback. Also, telling them that only a generic description of a project will be stated and you won't disclose their names might help.

If you take on interpretation assignments it should be easier for you to get a feedback since you meet them face to face.

I do not worry if clients ignore some of my requests for WWA, and nor I feel I lose anything

Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
From the source Apr 7, 2009

This is what an outsourcer had to say about this when I asked for a review. It does make some sense:

We do not offer public reviews of our translators. Ever. It won’t happen. Yes, we do like you (those of you who are good and meet your deadlines). No. No reviews on Proz.com or Translatorscafe.com or Craigslist or anywhere else that is publicly available.

Why?

Imagine a bad translator (who is not aware of quite how bad he is). And he’s awful. He lies about his native language, where he is living, who he has worked for in the past, but THAT SHOULD NOT MATTER. Because he is THE ONE - the great intelligent translator who knows all and sees all. Yes, you’ll get that translation back a week late, but it’s HIS and you should be happy for it. Even though all of the declensions are wrong. After all, this is a minor matter compared to his genius. If you run a translation agency, you can name at least three people whom this describes.

He asks for a review. We have three options:

1) Honesty. We tell the world how bad he is. All agencies have their own way of filtering translators, so this information does not really help them. The information is devastating to the translator, who thought he was simply excellent (why else did he ask for a review?). He writes a bad review right back at us, pretending to be that-big-client-everyone-wants, and gets his slimy bad-translator friends to do the same. Suddenly, we’re in an internet pissing fight which has done no one any good and, here is the key, has done XXX a world of bad. Let me repeat: no good for anyone, bad for us.

2) Lie. This really bad translator gets a good review from XXX. He shows it to the world, saying what a great translator he is, and that he’s done a world of good for XXX, videogames and Mom’s apple pie. Some less-then-careful agency hires him in the future and loses their big client over the bad translator’s work. This less-than-careful agency then goes online to explain his unfortunate demise due to hiring XXX´s translators. Again, the key here is that it is bad for XXX.

3) We can refuse to review. This is OK as long as we refuse to review EVERYONE. If the bad translator sees that we’ve reviewed good translators (as he will surely look for, since he’s wondering why no one has reviewed him publicly), he’ll ask WHY THE F**K WE DON’T REVIEW HIM. See possibilities 1 and 2 above. Again, not good for us UNLESS we refuse all public reviews.

We do offer private reviews for our translators if they need a reference. This is a professional courtesy, and it should come naturally to everyone in the industry who struggles with good and bad translators on a daily basis.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:02
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not kind Apr 7, 2009

I think they are not kind people. Maybe they think they hold top-secret information which can save or anhilate Earth and that's their pretext to avoid WWAs. But, at the end of the day, they don't care about us and thus, they dislike to spend 2 minutes filling a WWA.

I feel the same. Fortunately, there are exceptions.

Eduardo López Herrero  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:02
Member (2007)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
WWA, a bad idea Apr 8, 2009

The WWA scheme is one of the (very few, to be fair) bad ideas implemented by ProZ. The reply from Andreas' client says it all. But without going to such lengths, I'd feel just too embarrassed to make a request of this sort to a customer. I'm also an outsourcer myself, and I know how I'd feel if I received one. It wouldn't precisely improve my impression of the translator as a professional.

Eduardo

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree: WWA not a very good idea Apr 8, 2009

Eduardo López Herrero wrote:
The WWA scheme is one of the (very few, to be fair) bad ideas implemented by ProZ. The reply from Andreas' client says it all. But without going to such lengths, I'd feel just too embarrassed to make a request of this sort to a customer. I'm also an outsourcer myself, and I know how I'd feel if I received one. It wouldn't precisely improve my impression of the translator as a professional.

And I entirely agree with what Andreas' customer said. Indeed public opinions on your translators does not make much sense. I have tree WWA entries made by people who voluntarily added them, but I would not ask my main customers for a public opinion about my services. All I want is that they keep sending lots and lorries of work!

[Edited at 2009-04-08 05:10 GMT]

Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
If you are excellent, you should in some way be rewarded... Apr 8, 2009

The WWA shouldn't be due to a request from you, but a way for an agency to add extra "income" (read: reward you) to a translator that is really excellent.

Why?

Because he/she had earned it above the standard rate used by the agency for the particular project!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are being very kind indeed! Apr 8, 2009

Yaotl Altan wrote:
I think they are not kind people. Maybe they think they hold top-secret information which can save or anhilate Earth and that's their pretext to avoid WWAs. But, at the end of the day, they don't care about us and thus, they dislike to spend 2 minutes filling a WWA.

I assume you refer to Andreas' customer. Actually I think they are very kind indeed answering Andreas' request with such level of detail and giving a reasoned explanation of their decision. And they do offer independent reviews as an alternative, which is also positive.

I clearly prefer people who state their stance clearly to people who are just kind and hide their motives. Kindness is a bit overvalued these days. We need honest people!

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Very enlightening Apr 8, 2009

I've always been reluctant to ask my clients for WWAs and Andreas' post has confirmed that I'm right to be reluctant, for reasons that I hadn't even considered.
Thanks for posting that, Andreas.

[Edited at 2009-04-08 07:00 GMT]

AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Thank you Apr 8, 2009

Well, thank you for this very interesting exchange of views on the subject.
Being new to this site, I was wondering what to do; I'll probably wait for another while on this matter.
Anne-Marie

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for clients’ feedback: how did you feel when you asked for a “willingness to work again”?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs