Mobile menu

Banned outsourcer with good recent BB record
Thread poster: xxxwonita
Local time: 13:02
Apr 9, 2009

I was contacted by an outsourcer in France for an urgent job a few weeks ago. The deadline had been too tough for me, so I turned down the job politely. Afterwards, I checked its BB records, and it is indeed unique: The agency was banned from due to bad payment practice several years ago; however, its recent BB entries, since 2 years or so, are strikingly positive with only 5s and merits.

Has any of you worked for outsourcers with similar BB records? What's your experience with such outsourcers?

[Edited at 2009-04-09 14:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:02
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I usually double check Apr 9, 2009

In such cases, and when I find the company has records on the lower side, I double check or cross-check with their records in other similar services. Reasons for the ratings registered can vary widely and may sometimes be subjective, I usually read the comments and draw my own conclusions. I worked for companies with lower or mixed records in BB and they proved to be great clients, accepted high rates and pay on time, they are polite and have interesting projects. Then again, I worked with some that had 4-ish BB record and had bad experiences. It really depends and I doubt you can draw a general conclusion from that alone. Sometimes I feel it's worth a try, sometimes I don't, but I generally make my own decisions based on a number of factors, including payment and practices records. I tend to draw the line at good practices towards freelancers, as I am not that strict on payment terms anyway. I never worked for a company that had been banned before I worked with them. I have seen some cases of companies going through tough times then recovering, but... you have to take decisions on a case by case basis.

In my experience, it's best to take such records, from whichever service, with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions and decisions

Good luck to you.

[Editat la 2009-04-10 16:26 GMT]

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
German to English
+ ...
Cross-check, consider raters & country Apr 9, 2009

Like Cristiana, I would certainly cross-check with other sources of information. Also, consider whether the people who subsequently rated the company are reliable, respectable, experienced colleagues, not just straw men set up or sponsored by the company, i.e. how long have the raters been at, how many kudoz points do they have, etc. Finally, I'd think about whether I am fluent in that country's language, how familiar I am with delinquent payment collection procedures/courts there, etc. I just don't want to see you post "Need help collecting payment in France" somewhere down the line Probably the only time I might risk it is if I was desperate and the company was in Germany...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Banned outsourcer with good recent BB record

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs