https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/132460-it_irritates_me_that_i_do_not_get_an_answer_back_from_outsourcers_when_i_quote.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
It irritates me that I do not get an answer back from outsourcers when I quote
Thread poster: Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:20
English to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2009

Hi All,

I would like to address an issue that is bothering me for some time now: Although I don't sent many bids to job postings on ProZ.com as I mainly work for direct clients, it irritates me that I do not get an answer back from them in most cases; I guess at least 60-70%.

When I'm replying to such a job posting I really take the time to do it properly, in a good form and only when I'm sure I can do the job and have the requested qualifications. In my opinion it's a
... See more
Hi All,

I would like to address an issue that is bothering me for some time now: Although I don't sent many bids to job postings on ProZ.com as I mainly work for direct clients, it irritates me that I do not get an answer back from them in most cases; I guess at least 60-70%.

When I'm replying to such a job posting I really take the time to do it properly, in a good form and only when I'm sure I can do the job and have the requested qualifications. In my opinion it's a matter of courtesy to at least send a short message back. Wouldn't it be a possibility to install some feature for those outsources that they are obliged to send a reply? I think it is not asked too much to send at least a short message by email considering the time people take for composing their bids.

What do you think? I would be interested in hearing your opinions/comments and whether you made the same experience.

By the way, a big "Thank you" to all outsourcers who are decent enough to take the time and inform people!

A nice Easter to All,

Annett

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-13 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:20
German to English
+ ...
Mandatory? No way! Apr 10, 2009

Get over it. I think of this as another way of separating the wheat from the chaff; if outsourcers were obliged to respond/acknowledge, then how would one know which were courteous to do so by nature?

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not interested in automated responses Apr 10, 2009

If a outsourcer decides not to respond - fine with me. I am not interested in mail from people who only respond because they have to.

Siegfried

daisyto
daisyto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Don't expect too much Apr 10, 2009

Resourcers are quite often bombarded with request for quotes. They're usually the gate keeper and are NOT always have the time to update everyone on the job. Also, it could also be that they are in the waiting game themselves. Clients DON'T always give you an answer, but rather, leave you wondering for months. If you were interested in your bid comparing to others, you should contact the resourcer themselves and ask specifically.

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:20
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
It's a pleasure to communicate to polite and decent people but... Apr 10, 2009

...did you take notice of the numbers at the bottom of the bidding page Annett?

For a job in a single language pair, it can be a few, more often a few dozens; with multilanguage jobs, it's frequently a hundred or more. Spending a minute for each would mean spending an odd hour (sometimes, to reply to a bid which is not worth a reply at all!)

Pragmatic, sure, but maybe better than a robot-generated message...

Cheers,
Oleg

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:20
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Apr 10, 2009

I don't want my in box clogged with messages saying "We gave the job to someone else but are keeping your CV on file." I only want to hear back if I got the job.

[Edited at 2009-04-10 16:31 GMT]

Silvia Ferrero
Silvia Ferrero  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wouldn't expect a reply if you have been unsuccessful... Apr 10, 2009

Hi,

Just wanted to agree with the opinions expressed already. As a translator, I'd rather be informed when I've been successful. If you think your profile really suited a particular job, you could always send a polite e-mail to the outsourcer and ask for feedback as to why you were not selected and what you could do to improve your chances next time. But bear in mind that you might still not get a reply!

... See more
Hi,

Just wanted to agree with the opinions expressed already. As a translator, I'd rather be informed when I've been successful. If you think your profile really suited a particular job, you could always send a polite e-mail to the outsourcer and ask for feedback as to why you were not selected and what you could do to improve your chances next time. But bear in mind that you might still not get a reply!

I have also posted jobs myself here occasionally, and the main reasons why I don't reply are, firstly, lack of time, and secondly, poor bids. You say that you take a lot of time preparing your bid, and that's excellent; however, most people don't. I've received hundreds of bids in the past, most of them with spelling mistakes, for languages I didn't need, without the kind of experience/skills I specifically asked for, etc.

Kind regards,

Silvia
Collapse

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You are a freelancer, aren't you? Apr 10, 2009

If you were applying for a permanent position, your expectation would be legitimate and I would understand that you are disappointed. However, you are a freelancer, and you are one of many translators offering services. Imagine an outsourcer receiving 100 "applications" which is not an exception, would you seriously expect an individual reply? No way! I also do not like the idea of automated responses. What for? That is pretty useless, a waste of time and has nothing to do with politeness.
... See more
If you were applying for a permanent position, your expectation would be legitimate and I would understand that you are disappointed. However, you are a freelancer, and you are one of many translators offering services. Imagine an outsourcer receiving 100 "applications" which is not an exception, would you seriously expect an individual reply? No way! I also do not like the idea of automated responses. What for? That is pretty useless, a waste of time and has nothing to do with politeness.

The bidding process is generally considered a presales activity! You can win, you can lose. Honestly speaking, one hour of effort for preparing a bid is peanuts as opposed to weeks or months spent by presales/sales people trying to sell services or products.

Happy Easter!
A.S.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:20
Spanish
+ ...
x2 Apr 10, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:

I don't want my in box clogged with messages saying "We gave the job to someone else but are keeping your CV on file." I only want to hear back if I got the job.

Although, I think that for rush jobs (i.e. "we need 50 words translated in the next hour), it should be mandatory for the outsourcer to at least close the job, so the translators that weren't chosen can receive a notification.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
... Apr 10, 2009

I'm not really too upset if I don't receive a reply to my application.
Let's face it: my application didn't require much more than two shortcuts

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is your rate too low? Apr 11, 2009

Annett Hieber wrote:

I wonder whether your rate is too low. I only get a reply in 5% of the cases!

Anabel Canon
Anabel Canon
English to Spanish
+ ...
YES!!! Apr 11, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:

[Edited at 2009-04-10 16:31 GMT]

Couldn't agree more with Steven. Those mails ARE really irritating...

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I would only want a reply Apr 11, 2009

under these circumstances if it were to give me constructive feedback on my application, to help me be more successful next time.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 17:20
Why you need a reply Apr 11, 2009

I reckon you want to know why you did not get the job.

You had the best qualification for the job and your rates were low enough to be considered.

One of the many reasons can be: The outsourcer posted the job before he got an order, i.e. there wasn't a job for any candidate. Would you be happy to know the reason?

Kitty Maerz
Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Job should be closed Apr 11, 2009

Though I think it shows good manners to write a short rejection email, I do realize that may not always be feasible (say if there are hundreds of proposals). I don't really have any desire to get some mandatory "thank you" rejection.

However, I do agree with Claudia: Outsourcers should close the jobs promptly so freelancers know what is going on. Especially with rush jobs I feel obligated to stay available once I have placed a bid. That can be quite annoying if time goes by and you
... See more
Though I think it shows good manners to write a short rejection email, I do realize that may not always be feasible (say if there are hundreds of proposals). I don't really have any desire to get some mandatory "thank you" rejection.

However, I do agree with Claudia: Outsourcers should close the jobs promptly so freelancers know what is going on. Especially with rush jobs I feel obligated to stay available once I have placed a bid. That can be quite annoying if time goes by and you feel pretty sure you didn't get the job but can't be quite sure.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It irritates me that I do not get an answer back from outsourcers when I quote

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »