Thread poster: Teresa Duran-Sanchez

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:36
German to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2002

Dear colleagues!

I am working part-time as in-house translator in the UK and not long ago I began to advertise myself in the proz page as freelancer, to get some experience freelancing in this country and earn some extra cash. I have only been a freelancer in Spain before.

I\'ve began to be sucessful in my applications and I am getting small jobs. Can you give me some advice as to how to invoice my customers? I\'m not registered anywhere, so I guess I should not include VAT. Is it then a proper invoice or just a receipt? Should I register somewhere as a freelancer? I don\'t want to be seen as an intruder in the profession, I have got the right qualifications but I lack practical experience.

I appreciate your help!
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:36
English to Finnish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2002

You have to contact your local Inland Revenue office and register as a self-employed person and start contributing for your NI. At the end of the taxt year you will have to fill in your self-assesment form for taxt calculations (I\'ve got an accountant who takes care of my accounts).

You only include VAT in your invoices if you are VAT-registred (you only need to register for VAT if your income is more than £50,000 or so per year).

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:36
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Minna! Feb 19, 2002

That´s all I needed to know. I appreciate your help and your quick response!

Cid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing for a translation in the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs