Thread poster: Teresa Duran-Sanchez

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:56
German to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2002

Dear colleagues!

I am working part-time as in-house translator in the UK and not long ago I began to advertise myself in the proz page as freelancer, to get some experience freelancing in this country and earn some extra cash. I have only been a freelancer in Spain before.

I\'ve began to be sucessful in my applications and I am getting small jobs. Can you give me some advice as to how to invoice my customers? I\'m not registered anywhere, so I guess I should not include VAT. Is it then a proper invoice or just a receipt? Should I register somewhere as a freelancer? I don\'t want to be seen as an intruder in the profession, I have got the right qualifications but I lack practical experience.

I appreciate your help!
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
English to Finnish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2002

You have to contact your local Inland Revenue office and register as a self-employed person and start contributing for your NI. At the end of the taxt year you will have to fill in your self-assesment form for taxt calculations (I\'ve got an accountant who takes care of my accounts).

You only include VAT in your invoices if you are VAT-registred (you only need to register for VAT if your income is more than £50,000 or so per year).

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:56
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Minna! Feb 19, 2002

That´s all I needed to know. I appreciate your help and your quick response!

Cid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing for a translation in the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs