From Microsoft-Use this patch immediately
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:08
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2003

From Microsoft: use this patch immediately.
If you right-click on the message and then click Properties, you will see that it comes from somewhere in Russia.
If you get this message and do as is asked,then your system may seize to function.

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:38
English to Tamil
+ ...
I too am getting such messages Sep 14, 2003

Microsoft has made it clear time and again that they are not in the habit of sending such messages. Consequently I put this message unopened into the corbeille (mine is a French id) and then go to that folder and delete it from there as well.

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:08
Italian to English
+ ...
quite right Sep 14, 2003

Microsoft do not sent out system update information in this way.

Regarding patches for Win XP and office XP however, I received an email from the WOPR people who tested all the Microsoft patches and they are all avialable for download and installation from the Microsoft sites (do this in the evening though as it may occupy your machines for some time, it took me 2 hours to patch windows and office on my main PC and laptop).

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:08
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yesss, Sep 14, 2003

Such advices were sent out in the name of Kaspersky, Russian Antivirus company, too, but there's no danger, if you remember a simple thing- NO COMPANY sends out its update warnings in such a way, to individual clients, simply it is not an accepted policy.
You're more likely to receive personally addressed message from Dubbya, than from Microsoft.

But, BTW, there is a serious security update released by Microsoft few days ago, so you wouldn’t miss visiting the regular Windows Update service > Scan for updates and choosing "Critical".

Uldis

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

Microsoft do not sent out system update information in this way.

Regarding patches for Win XP and office XP however, I received an email from the WOPR people who tested all the Microsoft patches and they are all avialable for download and installation from the Microsoft sites (do this in the evening though as it may occupy your machines for some time, it took me 2 hours to patch windows and office on my main PC and laptop).

[Edited at 2003-09-14 21:56]

[Edited at 2003-09-14 21:56]

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The message in question does contain a virus Sep 14, 2003

I keep getting this kind of messages (1-2 per day) since about two weeks, from different locations: the attachment contains a virus!

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Look in the newspaper! Sep 16, 2003

At least in the US, the situation has gotten so bad that I find articles about each new security problem and patch when I open my copy of the Chicago Tribune in the morning! Very low tech! Then I head over to the Windows update site for the exact patches I need.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Microsoft-Use this patch immediately

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs