Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2003

A question to those who offer both translation and interpreting.
How do you match the two:
A certain amount of interpreting time makes the voluminous assignment which has to be delivered in a short time-span impossible. I have known an interpreter, who only accepted small translation assignments she could make during evening hours, but she had to refuse voluminous translation tasks. Is it either interpreting or translation or interpreting and translation?

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:05
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
It's all a matter of scheduling Sep 23, 2003

In my case, I have several clients I interprete for, and their arrivals are scheduled beforehand - I know I'll be busy interpreting at the end of October and in mid-January, for example. Same's true about handling large-size translation assignments, by the way; you can't work on several big projects at the same time.

See it this way: you plan your holidays, right? That's the approach to be used in combining translation & interpreting or handling large project on the whole.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:05
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
It is all about planning Sep 23, 2003

My approach is that I never translate on interpreting days. Absolutely no evening jobs after a day in a booth – my brain simply wouldn’t cope with it. I do translate, however, during days between interpreting assignments and also do a lot of proofreading and editing. I guess it all boils down to good planning of your availability and networking – you need a backup in case of excessive workload. I guess, I’m lucky: I work with my partner who does translation only... See more
My approach is that I never translate on interpreting days. Absolutely no evening jobs after a day in a booth – my brain simply wouldn’t cope with it. I do translate, however, during days between interpreting assignments and also do a lot of proofreading and editing. I guess it all boils down to good planning of your availability and networking – you need a backup in case of excessive workload. I guess, I’m lucky: I work with my partner who does translation only
As concerns voluminous tasks: you can have one only at a time anyway, so it will be translation this week and interpreting next one.

Magda

[Edited at 2003-09-23 19:17]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Social aspects of both tasks Sep 24, 2003

Translation is about the transposition of words from one language into another sitting long hours behind a computer screen. A lonely task.
Interpreting is sitting in an audience or in a booth (with a colleague) and being very concentrated for 25 minutes. An intense intellectual exercise with a social flavour. Which do you prefer?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you match both translation and interpreting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »