Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2003

I have the impression that asking a retainer for voluminious projects scares off customers. However,I know an agency which asks payment after a part of the translation is finished or refuses to continue to work on it.
According to your experience, which would you choose bearing in mind that outside the Anglosaxon world payment after 30 days is rather exceptional.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:56
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the customer and the project Sep 28, 2003

As a matter of principle, I require an advance payment (usually 40% of the expected total) for large-sized projects outsourced by unknown customers.

For regular customers, I don't demand any such advance. However, when submitting an offer for projects exceeding, say, six weeks, I include a provision for interim invoicing.

Note that I don't work for agencies.

HTH - Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Retainer-payment after delivery of a part of the translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »