https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/14564-have_i_done_the_right_thing.html

Have I done the right thing?
Thread poster: GAK (X)
GAK (X)
GAK (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
English to German
+ ...
Sep 29, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I am wondering whether I have done the right thing.

I received an offer to translate a 4000 words document which I accepted in the first place without returning the attached agreement until now. I totally forgot to check the Blue Board what I really should have done because other fellow translators haven't received their money. So I wrote to the client that I can only accept the job when I receive payment in advance due to their payment practices.
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I received an offer to translate a 4000 words document which I accepted in the first place without returning the attached agreement until now. I totally forgot to check the Blue Board what I really should have done because other fellow translators haven't received their money. So I wrote to the client that I can only accept the job when I receive payment in advance due to their payment practices.

I am now wondering whether this was the right thing to do and if he can still force me to do this translation (the deadline was for Friday, so it's not a rush job).

Thanks for your advice.

Greetings
Anett Kiefer
Collapse

giogi
giogi
Local time: 14:09
hummm Sep 29, 2003

I really don't think anybody can force anyone to do a JOB. Anyway, which are the terms of the agreement? Hang on a minute and wait for their answer if any...to the worst you'll never get work from them but...is it the worst?
Good luck
Giovanna

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 18:09
English to Urdu
+ ...
give and take Sep 29, 2003

Anett Kiefer wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I received an offer to translate a 4000 words document which I accepted in the first place without returning the attached agreement until now. I totally forgot to check the Blue Board what I really should have done because other fellow translators haven\'t received their money. So I wrote to the client that I can only accept the job when I receive payment in advance due to their payment practices.

I am now wondering whether this was the right thing to do and if he can still force me to do this translation (the deadline was for Friday, so it\'s not a rush job).

Thanks for your advice.

Greetings
Anett Kiefer

He cant force you to do the job. You can also tell him that you will finish the job but will forward the work as soon as they transfer the money in your bank.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:09
English to German
+ ...
Not quite Sep 29, 2003

...since the "right thing" would have been to check before hand - but you know that already.

It's impossible to tell whether or not you have entered into any commitment to deliver the work without knowing the full details of the case. Having said that, I would be surprised if you were under any firm obligation to deliver.

Best regards,
Ralf

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Chinese to English
+ ...
They can't force you, but... Sep 30, 2003

IMHO in such situations I always do the job, if I said that I would do it. It was my mistake not to check beforehand, and I promised the agency to do it. Not all agencies that are listed as bad payers are bad payers to all translators, so it is entirely possible that you will get the money. If not, 4000 words is not a disaster...and you will surely remember to check next time. Call it "tuition in the university of adversity."
... See more
IMHO in such situations I always do the job, if I said that I would do it. It was my mistake not to check beforehand, and I promised the agency to do it. Not all agencies that are listed as bad payers are bad payers to all translators, so it is entirely possible that you will get the money. If not, 4000 words is not a disaster...and you will surely remember to check next time. Call it "tuition in the university of adversity."

I believe that sticking to one's word is an excellent way to build up business capital without ever having to set foot in a bank.

BTW I've used this principle for 16 years now and only had ONE client fail to pay me -- and that was a MAJOR Canadian pharmaceutical company, many years ago. I don't know if I'm lucky or if the Lord looks out for fools, or what, but it has worked for me.

[Edited at 2003-09-30 01:34]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have I done the right thing?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »