Ron Peek
Ron Peek  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:04
German to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2003

Dear all,

I would like to know your views on the following issue.

If you are to translate a book (educational material, regular updates and new editions expected in the future), can you negotiate royalties for the translation you are going to provide (since it will be updated regularly, new editions coming out, i.e. a textbook)? Or would you charge a fixed fee in the beginning and leave it at that?

I would be grateful if you could let me know, or otherwise
... See more
Dear all,

I would like to know your views on the following issue.

If you are to translate a book (educational material, regular updates and new editions expected in the future), can you negotiate royalties for the translation you are going to provide (since it will be updated regularly, new editions coming out, i.e. a textbook)? Or would you charge a fixed fee in the beginning and leave it at that?

I would be grateful if you could let me know, or otherwise, where I can find more information on this.

Many thanks in advance

Ron Peek
Collapse

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:04
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Royalties Oct 6, 2003

Hi,
royalties are very uncommon in the field of textbooks as for my experience, but it depends very much on the market and on the country.

Have a look at these links:

<
... See more
Hi,
royalties are very uncommon in the field of textbooks as for my experience, but it depends very much on the market and on the country.

Have a look at these links:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=6914#6914
http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=80468#80468
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting royalties for a (text)book you translated/are about to translate

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »