Mobile menu

Technical authoring rates
Thread poster: Dave Simons

Dave Simons
Local time: 13:51
French to English
Feb 28, 2002

I have a request from a client for a price per word for technical authoring (medium complexity IT), working from a sound, structured source of information and with a preliminary on-site briefing. Having never done this kind of work on a freelance basis before, I\'m in a bit of a quandary as to what price to charge. Does anyone have any examples? Is price-per-word a reasonable system for this sort of work? Are there any traps to beware of?

Thanks

Dave

Direct link Reply with quote

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:51
German to English
Not too cheap Mar 1, 2002

Hi,

I work with one or two consultants (they act as my proofreaders in subjects in which I am not \"top\". They do similar work and their charges range from € 1.00 per hundred words to $ 100.00 p.h.

That might give you a very rough idea of what\'s possible.

Regards

Alan

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical authoring rates

Advanced search

Translation news

TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs