Hourly rates
Thread poster: Derek Smith

Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2002

Hi Dave

I did some technical authoring about three years ago and I learned a little about the field. As far as I know the work is generally paid by the hour. At the time I was working directly for the company and receiving around 40 euro/hour gross, though several of my colleagues were working through agencies in the UK and therefore receiving only around 70% of the total fee. Since this type of work is almost always done on a fixed term contract basis and often involves travelling to different parts of the world, I think you should expect to be paid substantially more than for doing translation work. A per-word basis sounds unreasonable for this type of stuff because there\'s so much hustling around and talking to engineers and so forth before you can sit down at the computer.

Respect

Derek

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hourly rates

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs