Mobile menu

How do you convert \"per word\" into \"per line\" rates?
Thread poster: Patricia Lutteral

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 1, 2002

Hi everybody.

This may be a dull question for those of you working in German, but for me it is still a mistery.

Is there any standard way of converting rates? Some agencies ask for 50, 55 or 60 strokes per line. Is this related to any specific issue?

I tried once what I thoght was the \"logic\" way of converting, i.e., counting the average words in a line, and my prospective client told me that my per word rate was perfect, but my per line rate was way too high.

Anybody out there to help me get rid of my ignorance?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Patricia

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 15:05
German to Spanish
+ ...
Converting Mar 1, 2002

hello Patricia

You are quite right, in Germany we used lines with X strokes. word counting like in the UK or Spain is all Greek to me .It goes this way:

You go to Extras; Word count in Winword, then you read the counting for strokes with spaces(I do not know the names of this stuff in English word version; it is the 4th counting), you divide this number by 50 or 55 (not 60; 60 is unusual) and voilà: there you have your lines. Lines X xxxxx euros= your hard earned money

Hope it helps you and excuse my perfectly hideous passive English.

Lucia Dogbeh, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:05
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
ca 9 words / line Mar 1, 2002

There are approx. 9 words in a line of 55/60 strokes. So I divide the line rate by 9 in order to get the per word rate and consequently multiply the word rate with 9 to get the line rate.

HTH

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Lines vs. Words Mar 1, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-03-01 11:47, p_lutteral wrote:

Hi Patricia,

I felt very ignorant, the first time I had to convert my rate per line into a rate per word... so, don\'t feel alone there ))

Theoretically: your rate per word x 8.8

Now, my rate is per line, but \"line\" meant as 55 strokes incl. spaces and an average of 8.8 word per line is a good guess (hair-splitting: the rate per word I obtain is a little LOWER compared to my rate per line).

(So, for lines 60 strokes you could do: rate/word x 10)

IMO, the point is not that your rates are perhaps too high, but in the fact that, by a rate per line, you are paid for your actual work, not for the amount of the words in the original text

I am not a friend of \"source word\", as I mostly translate from German into Italian and the final text is about + 20/30% (due to the typical German \"compounds\" I ought to translate into Italian using two words and a preposition... there\'s no free choice here, set structure is set structure!), that is extra work, which I wouldn\'t be paid for, if I accepted a rate per source word.

This difference is smaller when translating from English into Italian, therefore I think English > Spanish can be compared to EN>IT... Forget about German, as you don\'t offer it...

Let me add, I believe payment should be per target word, as our actual work is on the target text: we just read or, better, \"study\" the original one!

Cheers,

Giuliana

[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:05
German to English
+ ...
That's it Mar 1, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-03-01 13:46, docgy wrote:

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 11:47, p_lutteral wrote:

Hi Patricia,

I felt very ignorant, the first time I had to convert my rate per line into a rate per word... so, don\'t feel alone there ))

Theoretically: your rate per word x 8.8

Now, my rate is per line, but \"line\" meant as 55 strokes incl. spaces and an average of 8.8 word per line is a good guess (hair-splitting: the rate per word I obtain is a little LOWER compared to my rate per line).

(So, for lines 60 strokes you could do: rate/word x 10)

IMO, the point is not that your rates are perhaps too high, but in the fact that, by a rate per line, you are paid for your actual work, not for the amount of the words in the original text

I am not a friend of \"source word\", as I mostly translate from German into Italian and the final text is about + 20/30% (due to the typical German \"compounds\" I ought to translate into Italian using two words and a preposition... there\'s no free choice here, set structure is set structure!), that is extra work, which I wouldn\'t be paid for, if I accepted a rate per source word.

This difference is smaller when translating from English into Italian, therefore I think English > Spanish can be compared to EN>IT... Forget about German, as you don\'t offer it...

Let me add, I believe payment should be per target word, as our actual work is on the target text: we just read or, better, \"study\" the original one!

Cheers,

Giuliana

Yes, your method is right on. As for target pricing, I fully agree: after all, the translation is our \"work product\", and we should be paid for our product, not the client\'s! The translation is the end result of our analysis, research, efforts, typing, formatting, etc., and that\'s what we need to invoice the client for.

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, guys!! Mar 1, 2002

Thanks everybody.

I don\'t work from German but I have studied it, so I am well aware of its word formation process.

The problem is that German, Swiss and Austrian agencies generally ask the per line rate even for other pairs; that\'s why I needed some expert\'s advice.

As regards the source/target count, I agree with you on target being our actual product; but on the other hand, the \"common ground\" with the client is the source text. Most of the times the client needs a specific figure before allocating the job. In addition (and I speak specifically for Spanish here), bad translators tend to be too \"wordy\", due to lack of vocabulary or poor writing skills. In the EN-ES pair, the regular word count difference is about 20%. That means a lot of money.

Anyway, now I can estimate my per line rate on a more solid basis.

Thanks again and best regards,

Patricia
[addsig]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
A Good Offer is a Good Strategy Mar 1, 2002

Patricia,

I am surprised Austrian or Swiss agencies can find rates high, as they are well-known for paying good rates (I am based in Austria).

I know the trend is source word (I\'m not surprised this practice spread quickly!!!), yeah....

It\'s a true trend, (being wordy) that\'s correct, but IMO a good offer is the solution: total strokes + 20-30% (according to research time, graphik etc. and usual semantic difference) : 55 = final no. of lines. Let\'s say + 5% (Doppelt hält besser!) = maximum cost. In my offers you can read \"payment per line: EUR xyk maximum cost\": they pay for the actual no. of target lines.. should the number be lower than I prospected, they pay less.. should the number be higher... fool me!

Good luck, Patricia

Giuliana
[addsig]

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
"per word" rate vs flat project fee/activity-based costing (ABC) Mar 1, 2002

Greetings to all in this thread.

Today is Friday, 01 March 2002.

May one observe that relying on a \"per word\" rate seems closely akin to asking an architect to compose a bill for designing and building a house, based on the number of bricks, boards and nails used.

Compiling a quote based on \"per word\" calculations appears convenient and numerically-sufficient, but the underlying foundation of that approach is wobbly and fallacious, when compared with the use of a \"flat project fee\" or \"activity-based costing,\" which both methods require examining and assessing the source document and related features of the production project.

HTH. Comments are welcome and invited.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke

(English Arabic,

Kurdish, and Farsi)

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
"per word" rate vs flat project fee/activity-based costing (ABC) Mar 1, 2002

Greetings to all in this thread.

Today is Friday, 01 March 2002.

May one observe that relying on a \"per word\" rate seems closely akin to asking an architect to compose a bill for designing and building a house, based on the number of bricks, boards and nails used.

Compiling a quote based on \"per word\" calculations appears convenient and numerically-sufficient, but the underlying foundation of that approach is wobbly and fallacious, when compared with the use of a \"flat project fee\" or \"activity-based costing,\" which both methods require examining and assessing the source document and related features of the production project.

HTH. Comments are welcome and invited.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke

(English Arabic,

Kurdish, and Farsi)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you convert \"per word\" into \"per line\" rates?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs