Is this current standard or a hoax?
Thread poster: CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Oct 28, 2003

Dear Sandra,

Thank you for your interest in working on the project. I was quite difficult to find out where people actually live from the ProZ profile. However, I am glad that you decided to respond even though you live on the other side of the country. To your question about expenses then money wise it works out that each translator receives $300 pr. day which is to cover salary, expenses and transportation. Hope that answer you question.

Hello Sandra,

We are a software localization company based in the UK, and
if you would like to know more about us please visit our
web-site.

Therefore, I would like to
know whether you would be interested in working on an
on-site project, which we have quoted for.

The project will start either in the week of 11/10 or
11/17 and last 7 working days.
· You will be doing an on-site linguistic review / data
entry project

Your expenses will be covered. Please let me know if you
would be interested in working on this project,

What do you think? It seems too good to be true.

Regards to all.

[Edited at 2003-10-28 04:59]

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
$300 a day is average for this kind of work ... Oct 28, 2003

exclusive of travel, hotel, per diem and the use of a rental car, in good times anyway.

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:47
Member (2002)
English to German
Good? Oct 28, 2003

What is left after deducting your expenses? I would not consider it, to be honest.

And why should it be a hoax if Terra Lycos, a well-known company, makes a rather low offer?

But I am surprised about a different thing, Sandra: Why do you post an offer, which should be confidential, on a publicly available site and even disclose the name of your potential client?

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had doubts... Oct 28, 2003

because when I first replied, my mail got bounced back to me.

Subject: Undeliverable: Re: On-site translator
Date: 15 Oct 2003 06:19:03 +0100

Your message

Subject: Re: On-site translator
Sent: Wed Oct 15 06:19:01 2003

did not reach the following recipient(s):

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message
was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.

I am always extremely cautious about all offers.

Andy Lemminger wrote:

And why should it be a hoax if Terra Lycos, a well-known company, makes a rather low offer?

Why do you post an offer, which should be confidential, on a publicly available site and even disclose the name of your potential client?

I have not released the name of the contact person and other pertinent details. This is not the name of the company which has contacted me. It was given as an address where the assignment would be taking place.

[Edited at 2003-10-28 07:50]

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
You're right Oct 28, 2003

I have not released the name of the contact person and other pertinent details. This is not the name of the company which has contacted me. It was given as an address where the assignment would be taking place.

And right you are, naming companies here is definitely not encouraged. In fact, we should avoid it at all times, unless your posting is of an entirely different nature.

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Evert Oct 28, 2003

for your reassuring words.

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

And right you are, naming companies here is definitely not encouraged. In fact, we should avoid it at all times, unless your posting is of an entirely different nature.

Kind regards,
Sandra

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:47
English to German
+ ...
$750 per day is possible Oct 28, 2003

I know a case where the end client even paid $750 per day additionally to travel and hotel, but there were 3 brokers in between so the translators only got $300 per day (10-12 hours day, 7 days a week).

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:17
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Play it safe Oct 28, 2003

Don't agree on an all inclusive price for stations that you know nothing about. Otherwise you will be ending up paying the entire amount for rent and food and get nothing for actual work. If it is outstation work, I would proceed as follows. The client has to make all the arrangements including payment for board and lodging on a commensurate standard. Travel in a commensurate class. Then the hourly rate payable for 12 hours per day. You have to be paid your translation/ interpretation charges ne... See more
Don't agree on an all inclusive price for stations that you know nothing about. Otherwise you will be ending up paying the entire amount for rent and food and get nothing for actual work. If it is outstation work, I would proceed as follows. The client has to make all the arrangements including payment for board and lodging on a commensurate standard. Travel in a commensurate class. Then the hourly rate payable for 12 hours per day. You have to be paid your translation/ interpretation charges net of all the incidental expenses. You should not break your head on that account. In your case the 300 dollars, if it is only for the work, accept it. You are not supposed to pay for your food and board and travel. They are to be borne by the client.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this current standard or a hoax?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »