Pursuing debts
Thread poster: Joanna Mimmack (X)
Joanna Mimmack (X)
Joanna Mimmack (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
German to English
Nov 4, 2003

I have been through the legal process via the Zentrale Mahngericht in Berlin (thanks to Mat Witman's tips). The notification of enforcement has now been served on the proprietor of the agency but no payment has been forthcoming. I understand that I now have to instigate the 'Zwangsvollstreckung' myself. I gather this has to be through the debtor's local court (München). Do I apply directly or through a Gerichtsvollzieher - is this different from an English bailiff? Or do I have to get a Rechtsa... See more
I have been through the legal process via the Zentrale Mahngericht in Berlin (thanks to Mat Witman's tips). The notification of enforcement has now been served on the proprietor of the agency but no payment has been forthcoming. I understand that I now have to instigate the 'Zwangsvollstreckung' myself. I gather this has to be through the debtor's local court (München). Do I apply directly or through a Gerichtsvollzieher - is this different from an English bailiff? Or do I have to get a Rechtsanwalt? Do charges vary? I know there is a lawyer who has dealt with a whole string of claims from this lady. I am hazy about the process. Could anyone advise me on the best option please? I would be most grateful.Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 04:27
German to English
Hi Johanna Nov 5, 2003

I'm going through the same process myself and can recommend this website:

www.mahnung-online.de -- This is an Anwaltkanzlei that will do everything for you. The website offers information about what everything will cost and describes the process step by step.

I wish you luck,
sylvie

[Edited at 2003-11-05 09:02]

Joanna Mimmack (X)
Joanna Mimmack (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 5, 2003

Thanks Sylvie and for the private email correctly guessing the name of the agency I'm pursuing (numerous entries both on ProZ Blue Board and in Zahlungspraxis. I did know about mahnung-online but had not checked it so it was useful to get the costs involved but the practicalities seem a bit abstract. I need to know the practicalities of how to proceed, especially as this lady has been taken to court numerous times and will sometimes pay up straightaway, while others seem to have more trouble ext... See more
Thanks Sylvie and for the private email correctly guessing the name of the agency I'm pursuing (numerous entries both on ProZ Blue Board and in Zahlungspraxis. I did know about mahnung-online but had not checked it so it was useful to get the costs involved but the practicalities seem a bit abstract. I need to know the practicalities of how to proceed, especially as this lady has been taken to court numerous times and will sometimes pay up straightaway, while others seem to have more trouble extracting their money. There is a lawyer in Munich who has a dossier on her so maybe I should contact him - I just wondered if costs vary and he might be expensive but if it is a set cost anyway it wouldn't matter. Coping with the technicalities of the legal system as a foreigner is quite daunting.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pursuing debts

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »