VAT and invoicing regulations in Italy
Thread poster: xxxKitti Moonli
xxxKitti Moonli  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
French to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2003

Hi

I have recently moved to Italy and am about to invoice for the first job I have done since getting here. The agency I did the work for is in Luxembourg. Do I need to show VAT on my invoice?

I saw that the topic of VAT re EU was brought up a while ago, but I wasn't clear from it about charging VAT between EU countries.

Also, if anyone can suggest where I can find information on tax and vat rules and regulations and what I need to be doing to keep my paperwork correctly for Italy, it would be most appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Unlikely Nov 11, 2003

Hi Kitti,
On a general note, you should always discuss these issues with your tax advisor.

This issue has been discussed in a number of threads recently, including:

www.proz.com/topic/15403
www.proz.com/topic/15041 (I take it this is the one you refer to - Parrot posted a link to the EU website.)

If your customer is a business (and this should be evidenced by the fact that they provide you with a valid EU VAT ID - you can check it here), you probably need not charge VAT. Make sure to check any particular regulations that might apply in Luxembourg and/or Italy.

HTH - Ralf

sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Hi Kitty Nov 11, 2003

If you have your own Italian VAT no. as a freelance translator you MUST NOT calculate VAT on the invoices for non-Italian customers.

Regards,

Sabina

xxxKitti Moonli  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And if I have no Italian VAT no? Nov 11, 2003

Does this mean that if I have no Italian VAT no, I should be charging VAT?

What is the threshold at which I should/it is worth obtaining an Italian VAT no?

It seems from the other recent threads and associated links that I shouldn't be charging VAT because the agency is VAT registered.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT and invoicing regulations in Italy

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs